San Francisco - apply for an ILO permit today - what to do about existing 30 day rentals?

San Francisco - apply for an ILO permit today - what to do about existing 30 day rentals?

Sounds like many 30 day (or longer) rentals are coming to and end as of June 22 if you have a building that is 3 or fewer units.  What do we do about existing 30 day reservations? 

15 Replies 15
Al223
Level 1
SF, CA

I would assume existing units were already under “contract” as of pre June 22.  

Al223
Level 1
SF, CA

Also, there is NO INFO online about monthly hosting for Airbnb which is problematic for hosts.  The rules should be online!

I was blindsided by this notice from Airbnb. I thought that everything I read until now excluded buildings with less than 4 units for 30+ night rentals! Now it seems that, after 20 years renting I am out of business!! I also have rentals already booked for later this year. Airbnb says in the email that it will take no action now but does not say what they will do if the city starts enforcement after June 22.

Anybody talked to Airbnb about this?

Thanks

Not sure how to reach Airbnb.  I'm going to try messaging them.  My experience is that Airbnb won't enforce anything (although booking ability after 6/22 will probably cease or throw you into an online application loop), but the city can and will enforce...

Hi DAvid

Based on what you stated sounds like Hosts that are only  renting out one bedroom in their home are excluded from this ILO permit. Still unclear. Thanks for your comment

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Peter1,

Hey Peter, do you think that you can help out your fellow hosts in The City, and try to get them some more information about the new policy regarding 30 days rentals?  I know all of you probably could just take the Muni down to Brannan Street, but I doubt that Airbnb offices are open to the public.

@Alene0@Maggie11@David6490@Al223 

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Clint3
Level 2
SF, CA

Does anyone applied for the ILO yet? what's the process? I cannot find any information online.

you are correct Clint, the link to the city's website is not intuitive, one cannot even locate any form to complete. It will probably require a phone call to them and airbnb customer service doesnt know either.  Their email to the link was poor at best, unfortunately

So if you have one unit out of a four unit building that is being used for Airbnb does the ILO  apply and yes I just heard about this too

Peter1
Host Advisory Board Alumni
SF, CA

Hi Everyone, and @Debra300

Yes, Home Sharers Democratic Club (of which I am the founder and Board member) will have a presentation during its July 14 General Meeting on the Intermediate Length Ordinance, what it regulates and prohibits and how to get a permit.

If you are a HSDC member, be sure to log in to the July 14, 6:30 pm meeting on Zoom - log in details (which are the same every month) will be sent out in the HSDC July Monthly Newsletter.

If you are not an HSDC member, you can join HSDC at:
https://www.homesharersdemclub.org/membership-join/
then send an email to homesharersdemclub@gmail.com to make sure you are on the Newsletter distribution list.

Peter1 & Debra

I will be in route to TAhoe so unable to attend do you know if the ILO pertains to a Host who rents a room in her home for a minimum of 30days?  I get the feeling I am exempt from having to obtain this permit. Please advise if you can and thanks

Dawn136
Level 2
Berkeley, CA

I too am like David6490. A twelve year 30+day host and blindsided by this rule. It really seems like properties in buildings with 4 units or less are prohibited from renting for less than one year. Can't figure out what the rationale for that might be other than landlords with large units have more political clout. If we were under the "exempted category" it would make sense but when one reads the info from the city we seem to be excluded from obtaining the required permit. Surprised there hasn't been more pushback but then the airbnb email was the first notice I received. Apparently visiting nurses are not allowed to rent in buildings of 4 units or less.

There are a lot of articles on the topic online from 2021.  It is a reaction to short term rentals for exclusive corporate housing as far as I can tell.  

I'm making an assumption that people can carry on with existing reservations booked prior to 6/22/22.  I guess you can register for a biz license and book guests for 90 days a year still?  It's confusing.  

How to access the online articles?