Service Animals VS Pets

Answered!
Laura2714
Level 9
Cottonwood, AZ

Service Animals VS Pets

I used to list my space as being accepting pets with a fee. I’ve ceased listing my room as ‘pet -friendly with a fee,’ due to the fact that, the majority of the ‘pet’ inquiries where people who’s expectation was that the pet would stay for FREE because they claimed, ‘service animal.’

When I asked these potential guests to provide the proper documentation for a service animal; no one could provide the proper ADA paperwork that certified their animals as a ‘service animal.’

Again, at the time, the listing did accept pets with an added fee. These people did not want to pay the fee. 

Recently, the Arizona state legislature pass a law that clearly states representing a ‘pet’ as a ‘service animal’ is fraud. And, can be charged and prosecuted as fraud. This was a reaction to the number of folks presenting pets as service animals. And, business owners frustration with the situation.

The county I live in provides this sign for business owners and training on the new law. 

I understand that I am required to follow ADA guidelines. I am happy to follow ADA Service Dog Guidelines. I am happy to accept a pet with an extra fee. (Though I no longer list my room as accepting pets, because I got tired of the pet represented as a service dog situation.)

If Airbnb could help and have a ‘certification of service dog’ included in the App. Just like a driver’s license, an authentic service dog has documentation that can be certified. 

Please, help me as a host, respect the law of my country and state by providing a place in the app for guests to certify their legitimate service animals. And, I will happily accept the service animal without an added fee. 

(heck, you could even add a place where hosts review the animal.)

D522F468-E602-4B57-9182-41631E661D55.jpeg

1 Best Answer

I can’t speak for Germany but in the US that’s exactly what insurance, protection from liability. Also, there is no blanket training for emotional support animals.

Diane

View Best Answer in original post

74 Replies 74
Alan1260
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I like the services Airbnb provides.  I really like the host community.  I think the vast majority of guests are some of the finest people I have met.  I am a superhost.  I want all this to continue.

I am trying to do a favor by suggesting to Airbnb administrators and lawyers that you are terribly exposed with these rules.  We live in a litigious society.  Airbnb has deep pockets that attract lawsuits like magnets.  Eventually someone will file a class action lawsuit because these rules hurt both hosts and guests.  Eventually a district attorney will prosecute Airbnb for aiding and abetting fraud with these rules. Why not immediately fix the rules instead of spend millions on lawsuits?

These rules have many problems that are documented in this thread, but I would like to echo a brilliant idea in this thread that would fix one of the problems.  If Airbnb wants to ensure a proper legal process is followed in determining who has a service animal, then do it itself and certify which guests have service animals.  Why should guests have to validate they have a service animal over and over and over again with each booking and host.  Isn't this placing an undue burden which the law prohibits on people with service animals?  Why should hosts go through this validation with guests over and over and over again when the guest has already done the validation?  This division of labor makes no sense.

Kathy122
Level 2
Butler, OH

I am cancelling my listing because i cannot have animals (even "service animals" on my property ...   Hello VRBO

As per, the Airbnb policy, you are NOT required to host pets if you are a residential listing (ie: hosting at your home) 

I posted in the listing,

“I do not host or accept pets on the property.”

Thats all you need to say. If a guest has questions give them the number to Airbnb customer service for clarification of the of the pet policy.

Think about it this way:

My shower is not ADA compliant.

My Home Entrance is not ADA compliant. 
The majority of homes and apartments are not ADA compliant. 

Are your doors all the measurement that is required by ADA ?

Can someone in a wheelchair get in your shower stall ?

Residential Hosts are NOT required to be compliant with ADA laws, including, service dogs. 

I’d suggest you post, 

“I don’t host pets” to avoid the pet owners who can be demanding. And, refer them to customer service on the issue, If asked. Customer service will confirm that residential hosts are not required to meet ADA requirements, including, service dogs.

hope this helps clarify this emotional issue.  

I’d like to add for my friends and family in the disabilities community. It would be helpful to have someway to designate a listing as ADA compliant. 

Unfortunately, my listing would not qualify for that list. 

Hi Laura,

I see that you are a level 5 which carries a lot of weight in my eyes.  You made the statement that "Residential Hosts are NOT required to be compliant with ADA laws, including, service dogs."  I was not able to get an Airbnb rep to agree to this and she proceeded with punishing me for refusing a surprise emotional support animal.  How do we get this spelled out in Airbnb policy so there is no confusion?  Or how do we get Airbnb reps to understand their own policy?

Contact Airbnb for an exemption. Call again if you need to. They will note your account if it complies with thier exemption policy. Hope this helps.

Is VRBO have different rules with regards of pet policy? If that so, we may consider it too. 

Last night someone booked. I asked if they had read everything & agree (I have a no pets policy). They said yes and then said they would have a dog with them & made it clear they dud not have to tell me, but just in case I saw their dog & thought they were breaking the rules. I chesty have a a no pet policy. This is quite bullying behaviour. I time the person there was a no pet policy ( without PRIOR PERMISSION)  in our building & I would be in breach of my lease. The guest sent loads of legal literature!! I asked what the service dog was for & tike I didn’t have the right ask that. I faked what kind of dog & was told it didn’t matter. I was gobsmacked. It transpired that it’s an emotional support dog. I actually gave a visual impairment & diagnosed disabilities & have taken an employer ti court & won. So I’m all up fir equality etc but this just is not right!! I spent a fortune doing Up my home & still stay there  sometimes. I have very serious underlying medical conditions. I have a property I let out & it’s a no pet policy but I avyuskky accepted someone with a pet because they were so open giving me reference from their landlord about it, they also said I could meet their pet. When keying out an empty flat, it’s not a big deal. I said yes. But this is my home!!! Why should I be forced to allow a dog that I know nothing about & I know nothing about the owners. 

this guest was terrifying in their pursuit of the law with me.  And they misunderstand the law just as Airbnb appears to, I live in the UK so a blanket policy is not fair. I was shocked at this persons aggression. In the end they backed out as it was taking so much time me investigating. This guest was absolutely sure (or they were just trying it in) that they had every right to come stay in my flat with their dog without permission 

@Amy2116 It sounds like you dodged a bullet there.  For future reference ,you no longer have to take emotion support animals unless you local laws mandate it, I doubt that is the case in the UK, but you should check.  It is also Airbnb's policy that any service animal is expected to be with their person at all times and not left alone at the property, same for an 'emotional support animal', that is an effective way to weed out the fakers, in my experience.

Thank You. I was up front about my own disabilities & mentioned I had successfully taken an employer to court & won. And I’m also a landlord where it’s a very different kettle of fish. This is actually my home. 

@Amy2116 Based on your profile photo, you're a cat. So of course a dog is going to book your listing just to mess with your head and chase you around a bit. What did you expect?

You’ve obviously got an issue with my photo!! At the time I was on topical chemo on my face which looks like a really bad fire burn all over my face & didn’t want to take a photo & I have a visual impairment. Everything is done by voice dictation. It’s impossible to search through all my photos ti find a good one. And at the time my cats were  in the flat & wanted people to take note up front as I had tenants who claimed they were having allergic reactions despite the cats not having lived there for over a month & flat deep cleaned. I managed to be honest & win them over. 

I’m sure if I didn’t mention my own disabilities, they would have on at me about the law taking advantage of me as I have no idea about how it applies to Airbnb & it’s quite murky under AST (Assured short hold tenancies UK) . I fear lots of people are using this card now with “emotional pets”. 

but the good thing is that I now understand now what my rights are in this situation should it arise again. They caught me off guard. And I’m telling you they were HEAVY with all their legal links. 

One more thing. I personally, who has disabilities, would never ever force my pets on someone’s home. I find it arrogant. They actually called it an “assistance dog”. When I asked more about it, he quipped that I have no right to ask but told me it was for emotional support for PTSD (which I also have). It was clear this was not a registered dog for assistance. They were coming down for one of the most hectic events I can think of Green Man Festival. I know a lot of people w PTSD & there’s no way they wound be able to cope with the extreme chaos, the extreme noise, and extreme number of of people. Everyone is different w PTSD but this is pretty much across the board. Not for me to judge. I don’t know the circumstances but it did ring odd. 

You are correct and I am sorry they tried to bully you. Hosts have rights and disabilities too. They are judged and attacked too quickly.