Service animal

Answered!

Service animal

How many service/support/therapy animals can one individual guest claim? We are in NY and just had the fun example of a guest arriving with multiple therapy dogs.  What is the  AIRBNB policy on quantity of allowable service/support/therapy dogs?

If the answer is '1' can I legally request the other dogs be removed? What is the realistic recourse here?

1 Best Answer

Hi @Greystone0 hosts are required to accommodate guests with disabilities and their assistance animals, which include both service animals and emotional support animals. However, Airbnb doesn't state the maximum number of service/emotional support animals a guest can bring. On my listing, I only put max 3 pets in total. Haven't had any issues with guest bringing more than 1 service/emotional support animal.

I would recommend: 1. Indicate the maximum number of pets allowed in your listing. 2. Reach out to Airbnb support and see if they can confirm if there's a maximum number of service animals a guest can bring. 😊

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Greystone0   AirBnB's website caps animals, i.e. PETS at 5 (five).  They do not state anywhere how many service animals must be accepted.

How many animals do you accept at your rental?  It sounds as if you have a guest who has claimed that all of her animals are Service Animals, when in fact, they are probably well-trained animals who provide support to persons who are in need of a loving animal during their therapy sessions with a doctor.   My sister has a friend who has multiple therapy animals that she takes to hospital and nursing homes.

On my listing I state that I will accept UP TO 2 animals.  I have never had a guest bring more than ONE "service animal", and never in conjunction with other non-service animals.

I spoke to Airbnb and they said hosts only need to allow one service animal per booking.  They said it's ok for a host to deny a 2nd service animal.  There is also a section in Airbnb rules that says if it violates building codes or HOA rules you can deny service dogs.  I just think a lot of people lie and abuse the law.  I have a situation now where a guest booked their stay with one pet but is also bringing two service dogs.  I find it hard to believe one person has two service dogs.  However, I agree that someone with a true disability shouldn't be stopped everywhere they go in public and be asked for documentation to prove dog is a service dog.  However, we know people are going to abuse this and lie and say their animal is a service animal just to be able to bring on vacation.  Airbnb should allow hosts to request documentation.  This is not the same as being stopped in public, which I can see is a hassle and would feel like discrimination.  Hosts should be allowed to ask for documentation to prevent those who lie from abusing this rule!!!

Hi @Greystone0 hosts are required to accommodate guests with disabilities and their assistance animals, which include both service animals and emotional support animals. However, Airbnb doesn't state the maximum number of service/emotional support animals a guest can bring. On my listing, I only put max 3 pets in total. Haven't had any issues with guest bringing more than 1 service/emotional support animal.

I would recommend: 1. Indicate the maximum number of pets allowed in your listing. 2. Reach out to Airbnb support and see if they can confirm if there's a maximum number of service animals a guest can bring. 😊