Service fees

Answered!
Diane744
Level 2
Hungry Horse, MT

Service fees

Service feesWhy is there $71 service fee added on to the price for my accommodations there is also $47 tax fee

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Diane744  There are various taxes regarding short term lodging (and most other goods and services) which hosts need to pay and collect for. State, municipal, or occupancy taxes. Those taxes will vary with the location of the listing and some areas may not have any taxes at all. Your airline tickes have taxes and fees, they are just included in the ticket price, but you can see the breakdown. 

The booking fees are charged by Airbnb and have nothing to do with the host. Hosts don't even necessarily know what percentage of a fee Airbnb is charging on their listing- it can vary from about 11-25%.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13

@Diane744 nothing is free in this world anymore. Obviously, that's how Airbnb earn its profit. About the tax, ask your government about it.

I had a guest ask me why they were charged a cleaning fee and I do not charge a cleaning fee this was about my fifth or six guest and I just started at the end of July I absolutely love Airbnb and they pay our bed tax quarterly so collecting that upfront I guess however they can is up to them I am extremely happy with the reservations I have got so far

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Diane744  There are various taxes regarding short term lodging (and most other goods and services) which hosts need to pay and collect for. State, municipal, or occupancy taxes. Those taxes will vary with the location of the listing and some areas may not have any taxes at all. Your airline tickes have taxes and fees, they are just included in the ticket price, but you can see the breakdown. 

The booking fees are charged by Airbnb and have nothing to do with the host. Hosts don't even necessarily know what percentage of a fee Airbnb is charging on their listing- it can vary from about 11-25%.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. 

Cheryl
Cheryl464
Level 4
Clearwater, Canada

I had a customer cancel because she was overcharged service fees. My statement from Air B & B showed a lower charge. I contacted them and forwarded both statements asking why the discrepancy. They brushed it off and have yet to explain why they charged the customer more than they showed me. Something is very very wrong here. 

Cheryl

@Cheryl464  I have never seen my "statement" from Airbnb showing the service fees it charges the guest- it shows the amount the guest paid to me, minus the service fees it charges me- 3%. 

Cheryl464
Level 4
Clearwater, Canada

I would like to know what the Level 10 represents behind your name.  can you explain this to me please? 

Cheryl

I see that there is a Level 2 after my name.  What does this represent? 

Cheryl

i received an inquiry that shows a negative $426 service fee.  What is going on?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

One for Airbnb to answer @Mark3468 . I would give them a call

figured it out

Jonathan1492
Level 2
Melbourne, FL

The service fee's for this platform are out of control and really need a cap.

$600 service fee? For a 3 month stay? This becomes a real turn off not only to myself but guest. So many people dont book because fee's put the rental out of range. I adjust my rental rate to make up for the service fee and the price becomes astronomical. I could be using that service fee for the $2000 in upgrades I just performed on my rental.

@Jonathan1492 

We all need to keep in mind that the main thing we are paying for is advertising, which is expensive.

We also need to realize that Airbnb is a publicly traded corporation which has never made a profit. In fact they are hemorrhaging money at the moment.

You might try doing it yourself or through a local real estate agency. With your excellent property and location you might save some money that way.

For me personally, I believe that I am getting fair value from Airbnb. Without them I would have to try to rent my place using an annual lease and try to collect the rent myself.

I’ve been there and don’t want to ever go there again. I have had a few slime ball with Airbnb but at least they paid and didn’t stay long.