Short Term Rental Permit for In-Law Suite in Ottawa, Canada

Answered!
Ben6105
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Short Term Rental Permit for In-Law Suite in Ottawa, Canada

Has anyone had any success in getting a Short Term Rental permit from the City of Ottawa for an in-law suite? The business permitting office is refusing to grant a permit because they are choosing to interpret my in-law suite as a secondary dwelling unit and therefore not valid for short term rentals (they "helpfully" suggest that I should get a tenant and rent out for 30+ days). The suite is used by family for many months of the year so I have no intention of renting it out, nor do I even want to have a permanent resident (and all the added risks that entails).

1 Best Answer
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Ben6105 👋

I hope this message finds you well. If you head to the search bar at the top of the page and type in 'Ottawa', it should bring up some post from Hosts in the local area. I think there's already some posts about STR's there too. 

Let me know how you get on, 

Rebecca 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Ben6105 👋

I hope this message finds you well. If you head to the search bar at the top of the page and type in 'Ottawa', it should bring up some post from Hosts in the local area. I think there's already some posts about STR's there too. 

Let me know how you get on, 

Rebecca 🌟

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines