Short term License in Scotland

Answered!
Ronak12
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Short term License in Scotland

Hi hosts, 

We are new hosts in Airbnb and just found out that in order to rent our flat for short term, we will need a license. Anyone have experience in applying for this license before October 2022?

Is it possible to apply for tenement flats in Edinburgh?

Many thanks

Ronak

1 Best Answer
Veronique243
Level 3

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question. If you weren't letting before the 1st October 2022, then you can't let at all until you get a licence. Those who were operating before then can continue to operate but must apply for a licence by the end of September.  A key issue for getting a licence, is getting planning permission which is currently a mandatory  condition for getting a licence. Edinburgh  City  Council has indicated that tenement  flats will not get planning permission as a default position. Thus far,  few people have applied for a licence and most have been refused. The exception is where the entire block has been given over to STL.

I cannot recommend enough the Association of Scottish Self Caterers (ASSC) which has lots  of useful information and contacts. They are definitely  worth joining.

There will also be a Judicial Review starting in May which will consider the lawfulness of the ECC STL policy. The outcome  of the review may have a significant  impact on the policy going forward.

Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Veronique243
Level 3

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question. If you weren't letting before the 1st October 2022, then you can't let at all until you get a licence. Those who were operating before then can continue to operate but must apply for a licence by the end of September.  A key issue for getting a licence, is getting planning permission which is currently a mandatory  condition for getting a licence. Edinburgh  City  Council has indicated that tenement  flats will not get planning permission as a default position. Thus far,  few people have applied for a licence and most have been refused. The exception is where the entire block has been given over to STL.

I cannot recommend enough the Association of Scottish Self Caterers (ASSC) which has lots  of useful information and contacts. They are definitely  worth joining.

There will also be a Judicial Review starting in May which will consider the lawfulness of the ECC STL policy. The outcome  of the review may have a significant  impact on the policy going forward.

Good luck.

Hi , im sure i read that if its your main residence and you are living their no change of use licence is needed .

im sure i had an email stating this from airbnb but cant find it now .

google search pulls up too many results and i cant see it now , do you happen to have the relevant details ?

thanks

Veronique243
Level 3

If it is your main  residence, then you don't need planning permission for change of use but you do still need a licence either for:

• home sharing;
  • home letting; or
  • home sharing and home letting

depending on whether you are renting rooms in your house or renting out the entire place while you're away (or both).

You can find the Edinburgh City Council Guidance here:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/short-term-lets-scotland-licensing-scheme-part-1-guidance-hosts-op...