Snow removal: what's your policy?

Sepand0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Snow removal: what's your policy?

First winter I'll be having guests over the winter. I don't live at the house, so me removing the snow myself isn't a possibility. We're supposed to get a fair amount of snow this winter, apparently. And because I dont' anticipate having that many guests in Jan/Feb, and they price is already 80% less than the summer price, hiring a snow removal service isn't just worth it. But if i have to, I have to.

Just wondering how others deal with snow. Do you put a "snow removal will be at the discretion/responsibility of guests; host does not provide any snow removal service" policy on your listing? Or do you provide for snow removal service?

24 Replies 24
Diane15
Level 6
Spokane, WA

I was just getting ready to ask the same question. Is snow removal the responsibily of the Guests while they are occupying the home or is it my responsiblty as the home owners. We aren't always in town, and as mentioned before, our prices are 60% less than what they are the rest of the year, so paying a snow removal service $50+ to remove the snow isn't ready worth renting the place out at all.

What are other "Airbnb-ers" snow removal policy?

And do you post your policies in your listing?

Thanks

Short term rental down to host.

Places near me pay a contract for the winter.

David

And if a host doesn't provide that service, and a guest comes and slips on some piece of ice on the stairs leading to the property's entrance, what then? Since this is North America, I'm assuming the minute the word 'ouch' is said, the lawyer comes in and you're held liable for emotional, physical, spiritual, and financial damage as a result of the slip?

"...spiritual damage"  LOL

You forgot "loss of consortium". I guarantee that will be included in the lawsuit!

Haha yes I wouldn't be surprised. I am dealing with a situation now where 20k worth of damages was done to my home from a guest. I was told that reporting the situation I wouldn't be able to be retaliated against. I am a new host, so the dedamation pretty much killed my airbnb. I am dealing with massive financial hardship because of airbnb. I just literally lost a small fortune after what I sent to fur ish everything specifically for airbnb. 😢 

that sucks 

David641
Level 3
Union Bridge, MD

This is one of the reasons I have my listing blocked for January and February. I work away from home most of the week, so I'm unable to be there to clear snow. The other reason is that the apartment is heated with electric and the few times I've rented it in winter, the electric bill was greater than the rental income. Been doing this since 2011, and it seems to work. Granted you loose out on potential income for 2 months, but it eliminates the headaches and potential liability of someone slipping on ice or snow.

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Sepand0I am responsible for cleaning the driveways but the guests have to do the steps and the landing. I provide a shovel and a bucket of salt at the top of the landing.

I was wondering how other hosts handle this. I live in an area where people come because they want to play in the snow! Snow shoe, ski, etc. 
We live about 40 minutes from our rental house, but are planning on shoveling or having it plowed before guests arrive. But we think we should have a policy that it is their responsibility to shovel or plow while they are staying at the house. We provide shovel, salt, as well as a phone number for someone they can call to come plow the driveway and shovel for a fee.

But we can get huge storms with 4 feet in 24 hours! I would have a hard time with that as a guest... but I guess that is part of the adventure of staying in the mountains!

Would you be upset if you had a lot is shoveling to do at a place you are staying at?

Thanks everyone!

LauraRose

We have maybe got an inch on the ground, maybe a foot, probably not in total this year.

My understanding is that playing in the snow does not equal shovelling snow, so I think that would be a hard sell.

A long stay maybe would pay as needed, somebody up there for a day or two would not expect to..

David

>>> "Would you be upset if you had a lot is shoveling to do at a place you are staying at?" <<<

Would you raise an eyebrow at the hotel desk clerk in Aspen, when he or she hands you a shovel at check-in?

Thanks for your responses, everyone! I will check with our insurance, but I'm thinking that we will probably feel our guests out. If they are more the rugged, adventure types with a 4wd truck, I think we can let them fend for themselves. But if they are older, not used to snow, or used to more creature comforts, we will find someone to provide the service for them. But you have to understand, sometimes it snows 4-5 different times per day out here!! That would be insane for us to drive up there multiple times per day just to do a bit of shoveling. Those who prefer the aspen hotel type of service will probably stay at a fancier hotel, and not a "rustic cabin" that backs to national forest.

LauraRose

@Mark0I wouldn't "raise an eyebrow"......IF I was paying  ~1/2 of what a hotel charges.

If Guests are going to use ABB to save on pricey hotels stays, they shouldn't expect all the "bells and whistles" of a hotel. (IE. room service, dry cleaning, valet parking, etc)

At the reduced winter prices my Guests are paying, I decided to have the driveway and steps, etc. cleared for their arrival, but after that, it's the Guest's responsiblity. I leave shovel's & salt.

Otherwise, at $50 a pop for a service, and then the increased heating bills, I wouldn't  be making much of a profit.

What I did end up doing is increasing my insurance policy.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I'm not at all sure how to read your response.  You talk about prices half of what a hotel charges.... yet your listings show that you offer an amazing experience, in a setting that is much more desirable than staying in a hotel.  Why in gods name would you slash your prices to half that of a local hotel?  You've poured your soul (not to mention time, energy, and money) into creating a beautiful space for your guests.  Don't sell yourself short.

While I don't live in a part of the country where snow removal is a concern, I've been there.  And my concern is not one of removing snow for the comfort and convenience of a guest, but one of safety and liability.  No matter where you are, your guest's safety is your responsibility.  "I gave them a shovel, and a bucket of Salt your honor" isn't going to do you much good in a court of law.