State of Emergency in Ontario Canada.

Answered!
Wendy753
Level 2
Kakabeka Falls, Canada

State of Emergency in Ontario Canada.

Just wondering if other hosts have heard that we need to shut down as the province has stated there are to be no short term rentals with the exception of housing?

1 Best Answer
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Yes, @Wendy753 , there is a thread about it here, complete with link to the government regulations:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Ontario-Canada-Jan-2021-Covid-Lockdown-Document/m-p/1395...

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Yes, @Wendy753 , there is a thread about it here, complete with link to the government regulations:  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Ontario-Canada-Jan-2021-Covid-Lockdown-Document/m-p/1395...

Wendy753
Level 2
Kakabeka Falls, Canada

Thanks for this answer @Lawrene0.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Hi Ontario

As of today, January 13, 2021 - below are the rental excerpts from the updated pdf on the aforementioned link.

Short term rentals

Only to be provided to individuals who are in need of housing
Refer to the Services section for details on motels, hotels, lodges, resorts and other shared rental accommodation, including
student residences.

Services

Hotels, motels, lodges, cabins, cottages, resorts and other shared rental accommodation, including student residences
• Any indoor pools, indoor fitness centres, or other indoor recreational facilities that are part of the operation of these businesses, are closed
• Pre-arranged booking for short-term rentals prohibited with exceptions for housing requirements

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@M199 @Lawrene0  Do either of you know if this is still in effect, or are we allowed to re-open normally?

Thanks!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you check on your Ontario government website for the latest guidance @Alexandra316 

@Helen3 Not really... that's why I'm asking for help. One page says one thing, one page says something else, and I'm not in the country. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do they have a phone number or email on their website that you can contact for clarification?  @Alexandra316 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Normally that would be great advice, @Helen3 , but you've no idea how vague our government can be. The guidelines are contradictory and confusing and right now all reference to STRs has disappeared. I think I can host, but there is nothing to say I can or cannot. Nothing I can find. 

We are asked not to call. As it is tax time, and vaccines are rolling out, and we all want answers to what is not addressed on the website, and agents are working from their chesterfields in socks, the lines are busy. 

@Alexandra316 , I've written you a private message with what I think is the case, but I don't want to be held to it here. I will try to update here, though, if I find anything concrete. 

M199
Level 10

@Alexandra316 , @Lawrene0 

A suggestion for everyone's benefit..

Call or email your local public health care unit for advice and guidance in your area.  I would prefer an email, just for my records.

Hope this helps.

My public health unit is swamped right now and asking that we contact them only for emergencies. But we've just moved back to Grey Lockdown, so that's likely it. Glad yours is still answering inquiries, @M199 !

Anyway, I won't be hosting for yet another few weeks. In Red it was vague. In Grey it's a clear "no".

Cancelling and rescheduling everybody again today. It's a lot of communication, but no sheet-washing, so there's that. 🙂

You start back in something like June, is that right? Very wise. If I had been smart enough to predict all the lockdowns and extensions, I would have done the same thing: closed for the winter. Same amount of money (zero dollars) for way more explaining/disappointing/persuading/handholding. 

M199
Level 10

@Lawrene0 

So true about public health, not all are very organized.  I open up Apr 30.  I close for winter because the plumbing in unprotected and would freeze.

Hope that all your guests postponed and not outright cancelled.

Around half have cancelled and half have postponed, @M199 . Not too bad. 

Fingers crossed for Grey Bruce still being Green on Apr 30! Fingers crossed that Lambton manages to crawl out of Grey by then, too...

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@M199 @Lawrene0 Thanks very much. I have attempted to get in touch with Niagara Health: we will see if they respond. 

I have been hosting following the provincial rules since November - i.e. providing housing only. My property is ideally suited for it and I've done well with it, but now, people are looking for getaways again. I've been saying no so far. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lawrene0 @M199 Just a quick update: I still haven't been able to get a response from public health. I've tried calling and messaging. So for the time being, I'm erring on the side of caution and hosting only those in need of housing.