Strange Message

Teresa1585
Level 3
Bakersville, NC

Strange Message

I received a strange message stating that this person wouldn't recommend my place because I don't treat my guest well. Asked her to elaborate as I have had straight 5's except the one problem guest that after 56 days gave me all ones. She said I don't answer the call light. I replied that I didn't know what a call light was and maybe she had the wrong Airbnb. All my messages are through Airbnb and I respond to all my guest immediately. She replied she was letting people know not to stay at my location.

I am bewildered. I graciously thanked her for her input. LOL WOW. Where do people get this. She has never stayed at my Airbnb. 

16 Replies 16
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

How did you get this specific message - also through the Airbnb message system?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thats super weird.... but not merited if she didn't stay at yours @Teresa1585 . Needs fixing I agree @Till-and-Jutta0 . Go through the chat helpline and get removed. Yo can't have that. It will seriously mess your average.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mary996 

I don't think this was a review, but a message from someone whom @Teresa1585 never hosted. Perhaps this person is confused and messaging the wrong host (who knows what she means by answering the call light?), or perhaps it has something to do with the previous guest that left a poor review/ratings for @Teresa1585 .

That guest starts off his review saying he would not recommend people stay there, which is baffling given that he extended his stay by a significant amount. He comes across as a bit odd. Perhaps he has created a fake account (seems easy enough for guests to do this) in order to harass @Teresa1585 . I am just speculating of course. 

That’s correct. It was through Facebook messenger. I have an ad for our place there and that was her response. The chances she knew someone who has stayed with us is so slim!!

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I think @Huma0 has nailed it and it’s linked to your odd guest.  I had a similar situation at the onset of Covid.  

Group of Canadian guests messaged to say they weren’t comfortable with flying and they were going to cancel.  I advised them to wait a week or two  until their travel dates were covered by EC and Airbnb would refund them including their fees.  They ignored my advice and cancelled immediately resulting in loss of fees, etc.  They then started sending very aggressive messages and I began getting fake reservation requests from his friends giving me abuse.  One of them then went to the local press who then messaged me through Airbnb making up some crazy story about how they were bringing Grandad’s ashes over to scatter.  

Covid has made some folks a little crazy.  I bet this is linked to that extended guest - his profile would put me right off. 

Teresa1585
Level 3
Bakersville, NC

UPDATE: the lady messaged me apologizing that she thought she was messaging an assisted living facility!! 😂🤣😂🤣 

@Teresa1585 When she mentioned the call light that’s what came to mind for me

I didn’t have a clue but I’m happy she messaged me back. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0 I thought of a hospital. She is together enough to use facebook but not together enough to recognize it being a completely wrong place!

but fancy going out of your way like that, to message someone to say they are going to slander your business, for something that happened to someone else she knew.  I'll bet this lady is really missing the good old covid days when she could go around and abuse people who weren't wearing a mask. And sounds like it wasn't enough to warrant it anyway, "not responding to call light" could mean overworked nursing staff were busy with other things. sheesh. my MIL worked in an aged care centre, I would never say a bad thing about how hard those nurses work. 

anyway, off topic, sorry. Glad she apologised to you, that is somewhat redeeming. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Just looked at that guy's profile and he has a long winded rant in his bio. have you seen it @Teresa1585  
not sure why he would do that, i wouldn't host him based on that. He comes across as the opposite of calm and easygoing. 

Yes it’s bogus. I have text and a video (that he sent me showing the house) that proves he didn’t leave under the cover of darkness. That was quite the ordeal and I have stopped long term stays because of him.  

oh that's a shame @Teresa1585   his comment about "broke a 30year old door" was truly disturbing. He thinks it's ok to break a door because it was "old"?! some of us value the "old" stuff! Our place has plenty of old doors and windows, and a guest did break a window shutter, and we repaired it. Thankfully they didn't dismiss it as something old and therefore worthless, and we knew it was not in perfect working order so didn't blame them.  

Anyway, he's ruined his otherwise good set of reviews with that silly rant in his bio. 

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

If he had that profile when he requested to stay and saw the host comments I wouldnt have rented. But others have let him stay. He was very kind at the beginning and polite. When he broke the door, we gave him several repair options and he chose to just get a new door. He purchased and had it delivered. 

well anyways as I said it was quite an ordeal and it raises my blood pressure when I think of it. I’m hoping my slowness isn’t due to his ridiculous profile rant.