Tax Errors

Alexandra2032
Level 2
Washington, DC

Tax Errors

Somebody please help! I cannot reach anyone at airbnb who will help me and they keep telling me I have a case open and closing requests.

There are MANY errors including the yearly earnings report does not match my 1099-K, certain listings do not have fees listed, amounts don't match, Addresses are incorrect and on and on. 

Please somebody must have an email or way to contact people

12 Replies 12
Jenna447
Level 2
North Adams, MA

I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, but I am in the same boat right now. I am still waiting for a response from Airbnb about why my 1099-K has inaccurate figures on it. I just want to be able to file my taxes.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi there @Jenna447

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your 1099-K. I wondered if you could check out these articles to see if they can support you with any discrepancies? 

Understanding your Form 1099-K
 Yearly earnings report (US-only)

Please let me know how you get on and if these article help. 

Rebecca 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

No neither of these are helpful at all. We are clearly saying the 1099 does not match the yearly earnings report and nobody seems to have an answer. My yearly earnings report has many other mistakes which nobody is addressing including a listing that says no service fees for all of 2023 which of course is wrong and when you look at each booking there are the service fees. This is not ok. I have been dealing with this for over two weeks and nobody is helping 

I feel your situation. I am having the same problems.  I've been bounced to countless of representatives and no one can help me. They are  misreporting my gross earnings and am so frustrated that no one with knows anything about accounting and are brushing it under the rug. Where do we go from here?

I reported them to the better business bureau it is shameful what they are doing 

These articles are not helpful and do not address the issues we are having. 

Jenna447
Level 2
North Adams, MA

Took 3 weeks of emailing and I finally got this absolutely unacceptable response from Airbnb:

This known issue is raised with the concerned team for the resolution. However, at the moment we can’t comment on when this would be fixed and hence request you to please refer to the transaction history.

So basically, they know they screwed up my 1099-K form but are refusing to fix it. Cool. 

Yup I have called 16 times emailed more than that and always get a BS answer and they refuse to fix it. they said see your local tax professional....Uhm no you made the mistake you fix it

Please let me know what you ended up doing. They must be accountable!

@Jenna447 @Alexandra2032 A question from a non-American. Does it matter if the taxes you file do not match the 1099 issued by Airbnb? Can you not just tel the IRS that Airbnb has incorrect data and send them the transaction data if they start an investigation?

My accountant will no even do my taxes without correct information. I can find another accountant who will but it is going to cost me several hundred dollars more than usual. Why should I pay for their mistake????

I also can't do my taxes because of this gross misrepresentation of my earnings report. I've been on the phone with a different rep each time  for hours and it has been weeks trying to find someone to help me. Their replies are nothing to do with my inquiry. I am wondering if the replies are sourced out from an AI.  I don't have faith in their abilities to their accounting techniques.

My problem started when they mistakenly had cancelled a reservation of my guest  who stayed with me for 4 months from Feb - May. They deducted over 3,000 from my account, and had to beg them to listen to me that they made a mistake. They finally admitted they cancelled the wrong host's account.  But that messed up my end earnings and can't get them to help me.

I have an appointment with an IRS rep next week to discuss the mishandling and false reporting.

Seems like an ongoing problem with Airbnb and am very disappointed that we pay all these fees for them to be of service, but don't respect our time.