Tax form W-8ECI

Answered!
Candida40
Level 3
Apopka, FL

Tax form W-8ECI

Good Morning,

I have been informed by other SuperHost as a US citizen all I would need is to fill out a W9, I own a condo in Punta Cana DR.  It was mentioned Airbnb will forward  a 1099-K which I could submit to IRS when I do my taxes.  A support ambassador from Airbnb reached out to me that I am required to fill out Tax Form W-8ECI.  Has anyone had to fill out this form?

Thank you

Candida Perez

1 Best Answer

@Lorna170 Thank you for your time and I do appreciate the feedback.  I have consulted with my CPA he said I am not required to fill out the form W-8ECI.  He made mention just the W9 and that is all.  

Have a great day.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Candida40 From the IRS website:

Who Must Provide Form W-8ECI
You must give Form W-8ECI to the withholding agent or
payer if you are a foreign person and you are the
beneficial owner of U.S. source income that is (or is
deemed to be) effectively connected with the conduct of a
trade or business within the United States or are an entity
(including a foreign partnership or foreign trust) engaged
in a U.S. trade or business submitting this form on behalf
of your owners, partners, or beneficiaries.

My comments:

Your business is in a foreign country, but you are a US citizen.  Check with a CPA -- I do not believe that you are required to complete and submit this form.

@Lorna170 Thank you for your time and I do appreciate the feedback.  I have consulted with my CPA he said I am not required to fill out the form W-8ECI.  He made mention just the W9 and that is all.  

Have a great day.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Candida40 do you pay taxes in the Dominican Republic? (assuming that is what DR stands for)

Good Afternoon @Mike-And-Jane0 , I am new to hosting.  It's my understanding last year 2022 the Goverment in the Dominican Republic was looking  to make changes to the Airbnb community to pay income taxes in their country.  As of today from what I was told these changes have not ocurred yet.

I am a US citizen and the only form my CPA mentioned I had to fill out was a W9 to report any income to the IRS in the United States.  

Have a good day