Tax

Trish537
Level 2
County Clare, Ireland

Tax

Hi all, I’m just filing my tax return. As it’s my own private dwelling home, have a mortgage & this house is my only property in Ireland I have alway used the interest I pay on the mortgage as an expense. This has reduced my overall tax liability. My new accountant doesn’t  believe I can all of this as an expense. ( I live with my partner) 

Is there anyone in Ireland on this community that has the same situation as me that could give me advice? 

kind regards,

Trish 

1 Reply 1

@Trish537. Hi Trish, I'm not Irish, although I am a descent of the McNamara's from Tipperary so I'd say you've proabably had the  luck of the Irish with your taxes until now. 😉

Here Down Under our tax laws say you generally cant claim anything that is personal use. So if this was a listing here you would only be entitled to claim the interest for the weeks it was actually available to rent out ie pro rata interest. and thanks to Airbnb data our tax office now has all this information.

But I am no longer a tax agent so yes, best to decide if your new tax accountant is right.