Texts from Airbnb/Spam/wrong number

Miriam92
Level 1
Mannheim, Germany

Texts from Airbnb/Spam/wrong number

Hello,

I couldn't find a way to directly contact Airbnb so I'll try it this way.

I've been receiving text messages from "Airbnb" or so it says, first one in Spanish confirming a booking (located in the US), the other ones in English that seem to come from a host.

I've not booked anything nor does Airbnb have this number, so there has either been a mistake or it's spam. I live in Germany.

The number is +49 15735993885. Can anyone confirm if this is an official Airbnb number or how to let Airbnb know about this spam?

Thank you for your help.

41 Replies 41

I don't even have a account and I'm receiving messages on my smart watch about a reservation????

Dawn372
Level 2
LaGrange, GA

Yes, Sarah,  same here!! what are these texts?

I've gotten 7 or 8 texts in the last 36 hours with a verification code for airbnb.

I did recently put airbnb's app on my new phone a month ago but haven't requested any new code recently. Who is trying to hack us??

Airbnb, what is going on here?

Celeste129
Level 1
Tacoma, WA

I have been getting multiple of these texts a day from a 781-56 number and it's really annoying. I don't have any bookings and have not tried to log into my account or change my password. All the messages are the same "Your airbnb verification code is (4 digit number). don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for this code" It just sounds like a scam. I have had two today so far. It has been going on for the last several days. 

Ashley680
Level 1
Stellarton, Canada

I also have received verification codes probably almost ten times today and I have no bookings. I wrote AirBNB still yet to get a reply. 

Gudrun51
Level 1
Munich, Germany

I also get these messages, every time from a different number. That is really annoying. Has anyone got an answer from Airbnb so far ? 

Rosalind42
Level 1
Oklahoma City, OK

I've been getting the same texts with verification code. I immediately thought someone was trying to book under my information or something..very strange. 

Charlotte534
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I have received these texts with verification codes as well - I contacted Airbnb and am waiting to hear back. I checked the devices logged into my account under "security" and saw two recent logins from countries I've never been to! Changing all of my passwords... has anyone heard from Airbnb?

Diana1123
Level 1
Des Plaines, IL

I just received 5 texts as well!! I think someone is trying to hack into our Airbnb account and they’re entering random codes. I didn’t receive any emails from them. The number I get the texts from is 781-56!

Suhun0
Level 1
Busan, South Korea

I also got four text from 288-49 for last several hours. I was freaking annoying. I was sleeping whole night it waked me up couple times. 

Dont you guys thinking Airbnb leaked our personal information? 

It can't be a coincidence.

Lindsey173
Level 1
Nashville, TN

Same! I have been receiving 3-5 codes a day for the last 4-5 days now. and it is really frustrating as I have nothing booked.

Steven711
Level 1
Choctaw, OK

I also get about six text a day stating that "Your Airbnb verification code is: xxxx. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for this code".

Megan508
Level 1
Pocatello, ID

I have been getting them the last few days, as well.  I just went into my account to deactivate it completely, and in trying to do so it says they have to verify my device since they didn't recognize it.  So, I chose to have a text sent with a code to verify it.  I received another (legitimate) text.  When I tried plugging it in  (for the very first time) it said that I had too many failed attempts and would need to wait and try again later.  Clearly someone is trying to gain access to our accounts.  Since I couldn't delete my account entirely, I deleted my phone number from my account, so hopefully I will not be bothered with anymore of these texts. 

Alison528
Level 1
Blackburn, Australia

I’ve had the same issue ( Australia ) The texts appeared to be coming from the same number as those I received when I had actually made a booking Have contacted Airbnb , awaiting a response. 

Soong1
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

I had the same problem, with repeated PIN numbers, and tried to change my password.  Airbnb then cancelled two of my reservations in Europe as they were ‘illegitimate’ and locked me out of my account and said a refund would be coming through between 5-15 business days.

I spent hours trying to find a contact number, tweeted at Airbnb and emailed the customer service  - they didn’t respond until the following day. When I finally called customer service, they said I’d have to rebook  reservations! Luckily the same reservations were available, I had to pay the booking fees again without the refund in my account.

I’m now $600 out of pocket for the next two weeks and Airbnb is refusing to give me any compensation despite the stress, time I had to take out of my workday to resolve the situation and in a difficult financial situation till I get the refund.

I’m shocked by Airbnb. This isn’t a good consumer experience and I would have been better off booking a hotel!

Jenny809
Level 1
Kansas City, MO

Me too! I just got my second verification number notification in a week with no Airbnb bookings. Both came in during the middle of the night. I just changed my log-in password on Airbnb hoping that might take care of it, looking for an answer for this from the company.