The Potential Permanent Elimination of Airbnb in New York City

Answered!

The Potential Permanent Elimination of Airbnb in New York City

On September 5th 2023, the New York City Democrat Politicians Plan to Close Down Permanently

Airbnb for Short Term Renting. Hundreds of Small Homeowners Might Face Bank Foreclosures.

Has Anyone Heard Any Updates About This ??

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Carlos300 ,

Thank you for sharing about this initiative with our members. I wanted to let you know that I have merged all your posts to this one in order to keep all the ongoing discussions in one place for our members.

As Community Center is more of a global forum, it might be a bit difficult to specifically get in touch with NYC Hosts. If you may like, you can also get in touch with New York Hosts through our NYC Local Host Club here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/830896930840373.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

98 Replies 98
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Carlos300 

Here is another thread here with some good links to get further info on the NYC situation. On the surface it seems like they are trying to regulate it, not shut it down.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Ask-about-your-listing/short-term-rental-in-NYC/m-p/1793503/high...

Sorry Pat :

The Politicians are Tryng to Shut Down Airbnb.

If Any Home Owner has "ANY" type of Building Code Violation,

They Cannot be Registered without Clearing it. 

So for Example, I have a New York City Violation on the Outside Street Driveway,

for My Car, from the Year 1970. Therefore I Cannot Resgister.

I Have to Hire Licensed and Bonded, Government Approved, Architects and a Contracting Company, which will Cost be about $5000. Dollars.

Another Rule in Order to Qualify for New York City Registration :

All Door Locks Must be Removed, from All Doors.

You have to Hire Licensed and Insured Electricians to Install

Smoke Alarms and Fire Extingushers Throughout the Premises.

Finally You Can "ONLY" Have 2 Guests in Your House at All Times.

Welcome to the New Generation of Homeless People.

# And Just as a Follow Up.  You Have to Pay a $149. Dollar Non-Refundable Fee

to Register with New York City, and They are "NOT" Required to Give You a Reason if Denied Acceptance.

And 5 Will Get You 10, that Once You Try to Register, a New York City Building Inspector Will Be Coming to Your Home to Inspect, and Cancel If They Find 

Any Little Thing Wrong.

The Irony Here, is that the Extra Money Made Through Airbnb, Just Goes Right Back to the Politicians, With Their Sky High Real Estate Taxes and Personal Income Tax Rates, that We Struggling Middle Class Small Home Owners have to Pay.

We Lifetime Democrats Voted for Them to Help the Little Guy.

and Look at What They are Doing to Us.

@Carlos300 

Okay, so it sounds like you already know all about this, and you would know better than anyone here about any updates.

Sorry about your plight. These governmental efforts really are negatively affecting the “Little Guy”.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Right. Making it partisan definitely helps. 

Just Stating the Facts. New York City is a Santuary Blue State.

On September 5th 2023, the Democrat Party of New York City Plans To Severely Restrict Airbnb's Operations in New York City.

The Powerful and Wealthy Hotel Lobby has Convinced the Politicians to Try to Shut Down Airbnb and All Their Hosts.

If Airbnb does Not Stop Them from Forcing us Struggling Middle Class Small Homeowners from Foreclosure,

then Other Cities and States will See What Happened in New York City, and Copy Them.

Then Airbnb Might Go Out of Business in the Future.

Have you looked into ** for your local STR grass roots group. Here in AZ we have a group that works on legal, licensing, and tax issues. 

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

Yes, Thanks. Tomorrow Wednesday, I am Going to a "Last Chance Survival Protest"

at the New York City Mayor's Office.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Carlos300 

I'm rather confused as to why you are making multiple posts here stating

1) your city government is trying to close STRs in New York . Not true they are introducing a licensing scheme and restricting which properties are eligible for STRs

2) implying STR restrictions in NY will lead to the closure of Airbnb

Making false claims and political point scoring  just weaken your arguments. Perhaps focus your energy in working with other hosts to lobby for any changes you would like to see in the legislation. 

@Helen3  I think the reality is that the NYC rules will eliminate almost all Airbnbs.  You would have to be frankly nuts to allow strangers into your own house and not have any ability for anyone to lock the doors.  You, the host would not be able to lock your own bedroom or bathroom.  The guests cannot lock their bedrooms.  It is also I believe now limited to only two guests which means that Airbnb in NYC is ended for any families with children.  When the regulations become so draconian, it is correct to say that the rules are a de facto ban.  In my opinion.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I must be mad then in your opinion as I have just this sort of set up. Has worked well for me for eight years @Mark116 

and so do many thousands and thousands of home share hosts around the world . 

I do appreciate there are thousands of illegal listings in New York which will be affected now the city are asking STR owners to register . 

@Helen3  You don't have any locks on any of the doors?  None for yourself or your guests.  I have to say, I would never stay in such a place nor would I ever allow strangers in my home with no ability to lock my bedroom or bathroom door.  Mileage varies I guess.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yep 👍🤣👍

Thankfully I've had more than 300 guests who disagree with you  @Mark116 

been a superhost within three months of starting eight years ago . 4.97 rating . 

never had any guest damage or bad behaviour . Never had to make a claim on the Airbnb Guarantee. Never had a guest complaint. 

sounds like I must be doing something right 😁

just because you personally don't like something doesn't mean there's not a market for shared listings or that other hosts don't enjoy offering this type of listing .