The legality of Short Term Rental Licence Fee Increases of 200% in Ramara Ontario, Canada

Brian883
Level 3
Orillia, Canada

The legality of Short Term Rental Licence Fee Increases of 200% in Ramara Ontario, Canada

Our local township council recently posted an announcement of a proposed STR licence fee application/renewal increase of 200% or from $1,000-$3,000/yr and were holding a meeting to vote on it 12 days later! We never had much notice to prepare and they voted it through! They didn't allow us to question them as to why?  Couldn't ask for a detailed accounting to support such a large increase and why are they pushing it through so fast! The rumors are that some of the council members were voted in with getting rid of STR's going to be there agenda. So what they are doing is making it so expensive that we, as STR hosts can't afford it.

This is precedent setting in Canada to charge this much for a licence fee and if it stands there will be a ripple effect across Canada! Every city, town, municipality etc will be looking at this as a revenue source! If this happens there will be less hosts which means less service fees for Airbnb! If that happens in large scale it hurts all of us!

We have formed a small group of STR hosts and retained a lawyer to bring this decision into a legal forum! We are going to need financial help to see this all the way through and stop this insane, precedent-setting increase! This is the fight Airbnb should be involved in otherwise it will start happening everywhere! 

22 Replies 22

Hi @Saeid10 , where are your STR[s] located if you don't mind me asking?

@Brian883 I’m in!

Hi @Stacey428 , where are your STR[s] located if you don't mind me asking?

Hi @Brian883  we already hired a lawyer. To get our license approved. It’s me and other 2 guys. The bigger we become the better it might be. Might even squash this bylaw . Lawyer already has found a week point that could help. 

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Saeid10 @Brian883 @Stacey428 , 

I would recommend you share your contact information with each other by going into the other person's profile and clicking on the send message button. 

Bhumika_0-1686923251777.png

Due to safety concerns, we refrain from allowing members to share their email addresses or contact information as per the  Community Center Guidelines. But you can surely exchange such information through DMs.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Brian - it’s located in Washago and I’d like to get involved in solving this issue. 

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

You can reach out "**" To get my number.

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi @Stacey428 my name  is saeid I too have a cottage in washago not far from you on glen Ellen dr, me and 2 other cottage owners have teamed up hired a lawyer already to fight the town on the 300m bylaw rule. We have already gotten more interests from other owners too. We think the bigger we are as a group the better it could be , but still have to get confirmation from our lawyer to see how we can other members onboard too. 
you can msg me smoemeni ,at gmail dot ,come