The lies of the Host referral program

Answered!
Nicole2592
Level 3
Loxahatchee, FL

The lies of the Host referral program

@Airbnb I have called and called about this issue and no one cares to help. I’ve been given reason it’s paused, I used another API (not true), they didn’t click on the referral link until after the listing was created (also not true as I sat next to them helping create their listing). 

I am so disheartened about this entire experience with Airbnb support and this program. The entire process was smooth until it was time to give me $702 per referral. $1,404 is being kept under false promises and for reasons not one single host support can agree upon. I love Airbnb and it has been a terrific experience overall. This is false advertising at the core and only has resulted in anger, frustration and hours of time wasted trying to get an answer with still no reason. 

I put my own money into my friends homes relying on this money. I paid for their photographer, first cleaning and more to help them get started. Now I’m sitting here at a loss to help build up the Airbnb brand. 

1 Best Answer
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicole2592 and all, 

Thank you again for sharing your experiences and feedback on the Referral program here. I've relayed all of your comments to the team!

In regards to the initial issue, I have found more info on this page: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/refer

Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 15.37.57.png

I hope this helps!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Stephanie can you follow up with this case? It’s relevant to me and I’m sure other hosts to know if the referral program actually works.

A supervisor reach out today. Because I was connected on my host account to IGMS- not the new hosts- they are saying I can’t get the payout. Though this was no where to be found in the terms and conditions. And there is apparently absolutely nothing they can do to reverse this. Somehow the site they built, they don’t have control over to reverse anything, only in the instance of paying one of their host. Very convenient. 
After searching the terms and conditions page again today, still nothing to be found about being connected to another service such as IGMS. I have talked to at least 7 different representatives at this point. Two were very kind and actually looked into this case but had to give up the case to the representatives that have been no help at all and didn’t look past the page I can see myself with no explanation. It’s upsetting to say the least. If it were $100- okay fine. Not a major loss. But advertising $1402 and not following through for any excuse you can come up with that is not written anywhere for hosts to see- blatant false advertising. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nicole2592 wrote:

And there is apparently absolutely nothing they can do to reverse this. Somehow the site they built, they don’t have control over to reverse anything,

Two were very kind and actually looked into this case but had to give up the case to the representatives that have been no help at all and didn’t look past the page I can see myself with no explanation.

Well, this is a big part of the problem, not only with cases of host referrals but in general. Most CS staff these days (at least the ones we normally get to deal with) are just outsourced 'call centre' (AKA maybe just some poor random person working from home trying to earn some bucks) personnel who have absolutely no power to do anything whatsoever. Their remit is to try to get rid of you as fast as they can and close the case.

I believe this is a case of deceptive marketing. I am looking to gather others to a class action law suit. Let me know if you are interested.

I believe this is a case of deceptive marketing. I am looking to gather others to a class action law suit. Let me know if you are interested.

Nicole2592
Level 3
Loxahatchee, FL

This is false advertising and fraud. @Stephanie  

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@Nicole2592 

Thats a good get out clause, "Expressive Term" although we say it 

Shame on you Airbnb how many millions did you earn? I bet a lot,

I will ask my husband if he can remember how much they owed us, 

I can only

imagine how much they have earned off new hosts that current host referral with no benefits for the current hosts at all. 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Nicole2592 

Airbnb's referral program is a sore point in our house, My husband is an expert in affiliate marketing he makes money from them not just airbnb.

Airbnb must have made a fortune from us and we never got a penny, hidden in the small print was the credits have to be used within 12 months, My husband say it's his fault for not reading fully.

I bet if airbnb had a leader board he would have been at the top.

Like you we helped a lot of people to set up their accounts and one friend who we did help was very successful on airbnb but we got zero!

So, he doesn't promote airbnb no more, I wont tell what he said hahaha

You mention iGMS he makes money from them we get the odd $50 to $100 every month no messing straight to my paypal account, Thanks very much.

I must add, iGMS referal link is banned on Facebook before it was banned we was getting money every month from them. Such is life,

One I will tell you about is BDC I dont like the company that much but their referral program is great, for every host you refer once their account is active and they have bookings you as the referrer get commission free payments, you get the full amount no commission to pay which is good because they charge 17.2%, I think Im right in saying upto a maximum of around $2500 per year it's done automatically you no need to worry about claiming. Im not a big fan of BDC and we haven't used it for a while we didn't get any business from them after covid.

I will admit Airbnb has been good for us, but that referral program stinks they would have to come up with something better than that for us to refer Airbnb.

It is so sad hearing how many hosts they are taking advantage of with the referral program. I know we are not even close to being the only ones. And I totally agree. I love airbnb and use it to travel

myself. I have just been so incredibly disappointed in the referral program and as you said, do not plan to referral anymore because why should we? There’s no benefit to at ALL and just provides more competition. 

@Nicole2592 

I haven't looked but I think they have removed it..........? Im not that interested

I have no doubt they know how powerful a good referral program can be, but people need to be rewarded for their efforts, so it's a win win situation for everyone.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

$700 per referral? Is that what they offer over there? Wow! I believe it's 70 or 80 here.

I've referred a lot of people in my time (I no longer do), but have never bothered to try to claim the referral reward. Besides, it's not worth pursuing (over here anyway) . 

I suppose it doesn't really matter how much they offer if they don't pay it. 

Yep. $702 per referral. It’s changed from $100 to $500 to $700. Free marketing and advertising for them telling hosts to refer others and then never pay out for it. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicole2592

Thanks for sharing your experience here, and for providing so much details about the various steps you've taken. I'll relay back your comments and see if I can find out more about this for you!

Appreciate everyone else's feedback and support for Nicole as well - @Elaine701 @Huma0 @Sudsrung0 @Pat271 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines