The types of insurance that you absolutely must have

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

The types of insurance that you absolutely must have

As stated in Spike Lee's movie, "Do The Right Thing",  we need to stop the madness.  As a member of this community, I continuously see the same couple of topics arise that be simply handled by having the appropriate insurance.  It's irksome that people do little to no due diligence, or responsibly plan for when undesirable events occur.

First, all hosts should have either a home owner's or business policy that will cover their property for damages and losses caused by guests.  Airbnb's host guarantee is BS in the most sincere sense.  Fortunately for me and many other US veterans (and their dependents), I am a USAA member, and that organization's home owner's policy provides a Sharing Economy Endorsement which covers short-term rentals of a policy holder's primary home.  This endorsement comes at no additional cost to the policy. 

If you don't quality for USAA, and need more information about coverage, I recommend doing a search here at the top of any page here on the community site, or on Google, for topics pertaining to STR home owner's or business insurance, because the topic has been discussed at great lengths, and people have provided good information and recommendations for insurance providers.  Please put in some effort to gather information beyond just posting a question, and waiting for a response.

Secondly, travelers need to stop taking risks with their travel investments, and purchase travel insurance or use a credit card that provides travel interruption coverage.  More frequently that ever before there are many events outside of the traveler's control that disrupt travel plans.  The price of a travel insurance policy is likely to cost no more than the non-refundable Airbnb service fee that a guest would have to pay even if given a full refund of the nightly rate, taxes and fees.  Having a travel policy provide a sense of assurance.  A guest wouldn't have to deal with trying to explain their circumstance to under-trained CS staff, be fretful and wondering if the host will agree to the refund, or lie about their situation or the stay, in an attempt to get a refund.

4 Replies 4
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Debra300 

USAA used to be a private co-op type of company only for military officers and their dependents.

Now it is a publicly traded corporation and I was under the impression that they would insure anyone but apparently I was mistaken.

The website now says:

Who can join USAA?

Our products and services are open to current and former military and their spouses. Children of USAA members can join, too.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Debra300 

I just checked my USAA policy today and found that they have a STR endorsement that is part of all homeowner's policies.

It is not available in every state, and the details vary, but in Arkansas it covers short-term rentals up to 30 days. For more than 30 days you need a rental property policy which will cost you more.

This endorsement covers most of the damages we are hearing about, subject to the policy owner's deductible.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Brian2036,

That's great that the endorsement is available in your state.

Brian883
Level 3
Orillia, Canada

Are there any Canadian hosts that can enlighten us on STR Business Insurance Companies?