UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Tim2309
Level 2
United Kingdom

UK Regulator/Ombudsman

Hi,

Does anyone know who the ombudsman/regulator is for Airbnb in the UK?

I am having the most stressful time dealing with a refund issue, I’ve been on the phone to them for more than 10 hours now. They will only tell me their complaints procedure is talking to a supervisor who will call me back, they never do. I am on my 6th expected call back. 

When I ask for GDPR or regulator details they say they do not know them, I’ll need to talk to a supervisor...who of course won’t speak to me or call back. 

thanks. 

66 Replies 66
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Terrible you need to quote the guest guarantee policy to them which says they make the host pay for the additional costs for replacement accommodation @Bex15 

I have booked room for my relatives for 7 days one of the host she didn't even let my guest to stay at the property and also she is refusing to refund my money (319.20) pounds. She is telling me that is violation of Airbnb. Airbnb is not helping me at all. Please stay away from Airbnb.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Sudharsan1 3rd party bookings are not allowed by Airbnb and so your relatives can be turned away. In these circumstances we have always been told that Airbnb/the host have to refund the guest. I would call again and see what the next Airbnb person says.

Anne14163
Level 1
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Hi Tim 

did you ever get paid or did you have to go to small claims court.    I’m having a hugely stressful time with AIrbnb 100’s of communications and proof that they have nearly £3.5k of my money.    It’s been agreed, and ive proved it. Payment method also approved but they continue not to pay and now not communicating.  It’s over 4 months 

can anyone help ????  Anne

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Take them to small claims court. If they haven't paid you for a guest booking then it should be fairly straightforward @Anne14163 

I'm having the same trouble as Tim. Wonder if he got his money back. Obviously air bnb are thieves and don't like giving money they owe. Very unhappy with them. 

@Tim2309 I've just seen this thread and having a similar issue with refund.

I stayed the full 3 nights at a accommodation in London, I raised any issues and discrepancies with my host, we had broken bin lids, broken boiler so hot showers weren't guaranteed, a leaking radiator, broken window shutter, the place was dirty with a taped up radiator, not cleaned properly and torn up skirting and chipped walls.

I thought from the other reviews it must not be like this and the last guest caused the damages or cleaners and host didn't properly check. It had very favourable review bar one a month prior to our stay.

It was listed as a modern renovated flat in a nice neighbourhood with double glazing... we arrived, to a unlocked door, missing tv remote others had no batteries, it was next to the H2 train line construction and a busy road no double glazing (the one broken window was double glazed and did not shut), in disrepair and we didn't sleep any of the nights due to this and the noisy neighbours/thin walls.

All raised with my host within the 72 hours, evidenced with photos so we werent liable for any damages (he even asked me to fix the boiler advising if done wrong it would break which we refused due to this), we never asked for a refund, but on the last day he offered one in full.

The only times he offered to address the issues, once he didn't show up, and the others were late at night or when we weren't there with our bags unattended which we refused. He also messaged after this asking for a 5star review.

Said the refund would take 7- 10 working days.

I waited for the 7 - 10 working days for my refund, and no luck.

Contacted support who contacted the host.

He was now saying hes investigating and to wait another 7 - 10 working days. AirBnB are not to refund as he's doing it his end.

No refund again (he didnt communicate at all during this time), contacted again, same story, AirBnB said i can wait for him to pay in full or AirBnB will finalise a partial refund of 30%, I said I'd wait as its over £600 and if he doesnt pay is the partial still open, they said yes.

I got a notification that I had two days left to leave a review, I left a honest review, didn't discriminate or say anything offensive, it tallied as one star.

I messaged him asking about the refund progress, he ignored me.

He then responded to my review with a retaliatory response stating i was always after a refund and nit picking at the issues I raised and telling hosts to avoid me.

I messaged again and said that was unjust and unfair, I will be complaining to AirBnB with all the evidence of our chat etc.

Which i did, they told me they called him and held him accountable to his offer and he has till Monday to respond.

It's Monday, he has told them he has the right to change his decision to what was promised and isn't communicating with them further.

They've told me to discuss and resolve with the host (who hasnt responded to me).

I've asked for a complaint made against him, his response to be removed and what are my options. I stated with the evidence his refund should be honoured, if a full refund wasn't eligible it shouldn't of been promised, he should be held accountable for his behaviour and actions since as he's surely breaking a few policies.

I feel like a total Karen having to keep going at this, I'm signed off for helath reasons and this has made it worse.

Has anyone else had any luck, what are my next steps? Surely theres someone or somewhere i can raise this?