Unhappy guest

Eden123
Level 2
Ormond Beach, FL

Unhappy guest

Hello all! We are new to hosting and have a bad taste in our mouth after the first Airbnb guest. Our home is immaculate we personally saw and made sure our first stay looked perfect the day before arrival! After the first day the guest angrily messaged us saying we need to get her a new blinds. I apologized and attend her problem with the blinds in the sunlight but I let her know that I can’t get it fixed until after her stay. She angrily messages Us saying the hot water & AC it’s broken and does not work anywhere. As a homeowner that’s a very scary thing to hear we immediately reassure her that someone will come and take a look. Our maintenance man came to house and house was 68° on a hot summer day I’d say the AC is working pretty good. I’ll hot water worked. Then she claimed the house is infested with bugs. During all of this we offered a refund just to leave! who would want to stay in a home that truly had no hot water AC and it was in fact the bugs would not want to stay. She refused to leave. She wanted a full refund on the day she planned to check out.  Nonstop complaining for problems that are not real kind of feel helpless! She lied about every problem and even contacted Airbnb about the fake problems! Does this happen a lot? 

4 Replies 4

@Eden123 Unfortunately, there are people who deliberately target new hosts and unreviewed listings to scam free stays. If a guest contacts Airbnb to complain about their stay but still insists on completing it, you can be quite sure that they intended to run this con before they even arrived.

This happens a lot, but after you've had some successful bookings and reviews you'll be less of a mark for it. Next time a guest claims to be unhappy with their stay, insist that they vacate immediately and don't make it optional. 

Thank you! It’s kind of hard to believe people specifically do this. Definitely learned a lot from this day! 

@Eden123  how long is her reservation?

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

It's a scam, targetting new hosts to get a free stay. I would call Airbnb