Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Upset Neighbor

Suzy118
Level 1
Topeka, KS

Upset Neighbor

Received this message tonight from a neighbor: “Hi Suzy. I live across the alley from you. Very curious about the business you are running. You advertise that it is Covid-19 free. How can you verify this? Have you been tested? Have you tested and tracked your guests over the past few weeks? Have any of them visited California, New York or Washington? Have they traveled overseas?
I rhink the health department will be interested in your activities. I will call them tomorrow and report that You do not have a permit to run this commercial business. You serve food? How do you disinfect?
Honestly this present health crisis is exactly why businesses like yours need to be regulated. It appears that you are essentially running an under the table business, with no off street parking, and bringing strangers into our neighborhood during a pandemic.
Deborah Bremer”

Any thoughts?

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Suzy118 

I have no help to give I am afraid but I do have a question.

what does 'CDC COVID 19 Compliant' mean in your listing title? 

Jonathan1257
Level 5
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

What a nasty neighbour you have. Is your neighbour bringing anything into the local community. Keep up the hard work as neighbours are often lazy. The state of the gardens and houses around me are a joke.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What a sweetie Deborah is, @Suzy118. I bet she was equally welcoming of people during the HIV/AIDS crisis. A bundle of joy indeed. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I also want to know what covid compliant means. I'm sorry about your neighbour, she does sound upset, but people are panicking. 

@Suzy118   Your neighbor sure does sound like a busybody, I won't be mad atcha if you accidentally cough in her general direction. But putting "COVID CDC COMPLIANT" in your listing title is kind of asking for trouble. Deborah Downer is not wrong here - if the health authorities aren't regulating and certifying homeshare properties for compliance with a code that we all know doesn't exist, your mouth is writing a check your house can't cash.

Suzy118
Level 1
Topeka, KS

Regarding my CDC COVID 19 Compliant statement...it explained in the description of my property, which I got off the CDC website describing disinfecting procedures and distancing recommendations.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Suzy118  I think listing your place as "CDC" compliant is asking for trouble.  If someone were to stay at your place and contracted the virus then they could sue you because of this language.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Your neighbour hasn't been nice in the way she expressed herself. However I do understand her concerns.  @Suzy118 

Our health bodies and the WHO are advising against all but essential travel and social isolation to minimise the spread of the virus and guests travelling to our listing and within our community runs contrary to that.

The US has got one of the fastest  growing incidence of the virus, with the virus in every state. So when hosts allow paying guests into communities,  there is always a risk, however small that they are bringing the virus into our communities. It is not about how clean your place is but the risk that the guest brings the virus however unwittingly with them.

I have blocked out my listing for next few months so I comply with guidance to help minimise the risk of what happened in Italy happening in the UK.

This strategy will only work if we all pull together. 

What could happen if we don't will be catastrophic.

@Suzy118 

I'm sorry, but I agree with those who think your heading was a bad idea.

Please, take it down before it causes you more trouble.

Patricia2862
Level 2
San Diego, CA

"You advertise that it is Covid-19 free."

Is this accurate?