When are cleaning fees charged?

Brian-J-1
Level 1
Lawrence, KS

When are cleaning fees charged?

I am just getting started with AB&B and added in a cleaning fee after several people had already made reservations.

When are these charged and what are your suggestions for handling this change?

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brian-J-1 You are (rightly) not allowed to change the price charged post booking. Your cleaning fee will apply to any new bookings but I am afraid you will have to accept that the guests already booked will have a cheaper stay. There is a lot to learn I am afraid and a lot of people learn the hard way.

Yeah, chalk it up to the cost of learning the business. Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate it. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brian-J-1  Changes made after a booking is confirmed, cannot be applied to those bookings, it will only be applied to future reservations.

This one of those things a host just has to eat and consider it part of the learning curve. Trying to add an extra charge that wasn't mentioned when they booked, to a confirmed reservation, isn't fair to the guest and will quite reasonably make them angry and likely report you to Airbnb. 

The cleaning fee you have now added will be automatically applied to future reservations and the guests will see that in the breakdown of what they are being charged in total.

Thanks for this info and your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Brian-J-1 Just a quick thought. Are you really required to display your rental licence on the advert for your property? If so the authorities really need to consider the security aspects as thieves can easily see when a place is empty (ie dates available). It may not be such a big issue for you as it looks like you are on-site but even so its dangerous.

Thanks, good point. I will check.