Where to pay taxes? Country of residency or property?

Answered!
Guy247
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Where to pay taxes? Country of residency or property?

Dear all, im struggling to find an answer for my situation, wonder if anyone knows. 

Im from Portugal and have a decent airbnb profile.

I have an opportunity to list few apartments from an owner in Germany on my profile. 

He want that i will do everything like talking to guests, manage the calander and so on in return for 20% routing payments from the income (will be automatically through airbnb platform)

My question, if im getting 20% of the income to my bank in Portugal, but the property is in Germany. Where (as a co-host) should pay & declare the tax?

I assume that city tax should be declared by the owner to the German authorities but what else should we/I consider? 

Hope you can enlighten me with some info.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Guy247 I believe the tax should be paid in Germany and the income also declared in Portugal. Then a tax credit should be applied to your Portuguese tax account so you are not taxed twice. If I were you I would get  good German and Portuguese tax accountanst to do your returns in the first year and then go it alone after that. I assume you also have earnings in one or both of these countries which will complicate matters.

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Guy247 I believe the tax should be paid in Germany and the income also declared in Portugal. Then a tax credit should be applied to your Portuguese tax account so you are not taxed twice. If I were you I would get  good German and Portuguese tax accountanst to do your returns in the first year and then go it alone after that. I assume you also have earnings in one or both of these countries which will complicate matters.