Why do I get bookings in clusters only?

Answered!
Valerie1059
Level 2
New Albany, PA

Why do I get bookings in clusters only?

I’ve only been operating through Airbnb since April, 22. I’m finding a trend that whereby bookings occur in clusters. I won’t get a hit for weeks. Then all of a sudden I’ll get two bookings in one day, and over

the next few days. It’s almost like Airbnb

somehow opens me up to more exposure at times. This has happened four different times since April. Is there any information in this regard?

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Valerie1059  it was always like that, Airbnb is rotating all listings all the time, I noticed that years ago. Even if we change nothing, our listing will appear on the first page eventually.

There are some triggers that will move the listing up, the question is - are we willing to use them? Listings where everyone is accepted, even one-nighters, and the prices are low will get more views and more bookings. But, how does it affect our private life and health, and is the risk, work, and profit worth it?

On the other hand, declining a request seems to move the listing down in the search results. That's why I am always pissed when I get a request from a nonresponsive guest or the one who wants to break our house rules, and I have to decline.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Valerie1059  it was always like that, Airbnb is rotating all listings all the time, I noticed that years ago. Even if we change nothing, our listing will appear on the first page eventually.

There are some triggers that will move the listing up, the question is - are we willing to use them? Listings where everyone is accepted, even one-nighters, and the prices are low will get more views and more bookings. But, how does it affect our private life and health, and is the risk, work, and profit worth it?

On the other hand, declining a request seems to move the listing down in the search results. That's why I am always pissed when I get a request from a nonresponsive guest or the one who wants to break our house rules, and I have to decline.

Thank you so much for the information.   Now that you're explaining about the lowering if we decline, I did receive quite a lengthy drop off when I had to decline.  And, the crazy thing is, Airbnb gave me a red flag and blocked them from booking as they were identified as an 'increased hazard.'  Totally not fair if that's the case.

I am currently fiddling with my page constantly, trying to tweak here and there where it I have the ability to do so.  With all the improvements made to the home, I'm currently working for nothing, trying to re-coup.  It's been a reward and a struggle all at the same time.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That’s how the algorithm works @Valerie1059 

Airbnb want guests to make successful bookings, and the best bet for one is another recent successful booking.

If your listing receives a successful booking, you’ll them move higher in search results which will make you more visible in search, and then you’ll receive more bookings due to your increased visibility.

@Paul1255  I am not sure if it works that way. I noticed that the placing slowly but continuously rotates but also depends on the number of views, not bookings.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Paul1255 

I suspect it's both. A few years ago, Airbnb posted an article here on the CC about how the search algorithms work. I will post it here if I can find it but some of the information might be out of date by now. Anyway, I think it did say something about bookings pushing listings up the search results. 

I have certainly noticed in the past that, the more bookings the listing gets, the more interest it gets, but that was when I hosted short stays. Then it will go quiet for a while.