Wrong account paid into. Is it possible for a renter to pay Airbnb and the money not be paid to the correct owner by Airbnb?

Wrong account paid into. Is it possible for a renter to pay Airbnb and the money not be paid to the correct owner by Airbnb?

I was told ( by my property manager) that money was never paid in to my bank account by Airbnb for rent paid.   Can this happen?

If it does and you catch the mistake will Airbnb pay up.  In essence take money from wrong account and transfer to the correct account.  

Has  this happened to anyone?   

6 Replies 6
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Lauretta19 

I haven't heard of Airbnb paying a random bank account by mistake but you could be the first.  

It sounds like though you are the property owner, the Property Manager is the Host.  Airbnb has a legal agreement with the Host to pay the Host.  They have no legal agreement with you to pay you,  Your only argument is with the property manager and your legal agreement with you for payment of reservations.

@Lauretta19. Hi Lauretta, is this a new listing or the first payment problem? Did they give any further reasons and what actions they had taken?

Ideally you would be the host and your property manager the Co Host (to whom you can give certain access permissions) so that you would have full oversight on the payment transactions, before, during and after each one is made. You can set up to split the booking payments so they get paid at the same time as you.

As you havent set it up this way, you will need to rely on your property manager to investigate the reasons why and chase the money with Airbnb. As @Marie8425 mentioned, you technically have no formal agreement with Airbnb. Its not in Airbnb's interest not to pass on paid booking funds and they will investigate when asked, but you need to be vigilant and persistent.

I dont use property managers but I have the time, energy and knowledge to DIY. Where I have used them, a high level of trust needs to exist. Good luck.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lauretta19 You don't appear to have a listing attached to your profile . Your cohost should have worked with you to set the listing under your name and you could have added them as a cohost

in this way you can see all communication with guests and with airbnb including payments.

as you aren't on the listing there is no way for airbnb to send you any money it will be going into your property managers account 

I would meet with them urgently and if you still want to work with them get yourself added to the listing 

unfortunately the way it's been set up  all reviews and ratings for your STR business will go to your property manager 

personally I would get a cohost who helps you set up the listing for your property in your name so you have full control.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lauretta19 

Have a look in News, in the search engine you use, at all the Customer Services/ Call centre crime going on worldwide including those working in those places dishonestly stealing monies and Personal Information for unlawful purposes.

Sadly we have read that some who have been working under the guise of ABB Customer Services have been implicated in this so you have good grounds to question this.

May I suggest you and your property manager go through Payments on your account and thoroughly check if there has been anything untoward.

You also have the right to request Your Data in a Report which should include all details of who has accessed your account when.

Requesting your Data Information from Airbnb

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help-with-your-business/Requesting-your-Data-Information-from-Ai...

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Lauretta19 ,

Sorry to hear your facing an issue receiving your payout correctly. If you've not already, please do reach out to customer support https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/contact-us/ as they will be able to look more closely as to where your payout has gone. 

If it's your first ever booking, it can take a bit longer to come through, mind you!

Let me know how you get on, 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lauretta19

Have you managed to make any positive progress on this important matter?
Or are you still going around on a rat wheel?