heating bills - linger rentals

Alexandra1375
Level 2
Mimizan, France

heating bills - linger rentals

Hi! 

I'm trying out longer rentals for the first time this winter and wondered what the best way is for managing heating bills. The heating in the house is electric and guests control their own levels of comfort. Traditionally I would request a provision and then balance this to the actual electric bill at the end of the stay, as consumption can vary widely. However i have no idea how to do this through Airbnb, any ideas? 

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Alexandra1375 I am afraid this will not be simple (not really possible) as the site just isn't designed for long term rentals.

That's the conclusion I am coming to - the software is not really adaptable to local needs. Thanks!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Alexandra1375 

This would be really difficult but I think you need to try to do something. People will turn the heat up and open the windows if it gets too hot if they’re not paying for it.

Here the electric company just installed “smart” meters which would make it a little easier. The consumer can log into the website and see what their consumption is at the moment as well as the total for any period of time they choose.

If you have a conventional meter you could record the total up to the time the guest checks in, then do it again after a week and calculate consumption. Show it to the guest so they can see what it is costing them.

Getting the guest to pay for it after the fact would be difficult.

You could, however, raise your prices to include the cost of the power they would use if they were extremely careless, then issue a refund for the difference if they use less.

Be sure to explain this thoroughly and I think you will find that the guests are far more conservative with their power usage.

I once rented an apartment in Wales that had a coin-operated meter. That would be a perfect solution but I don’t suppose you could find anything like that these days.

Thank you - I just don't think Airbnb is a suitable solution for longer-term rentals, unfortunately. And as airbnb forbid me from asking other fees, i think i'm just going to manage elsewhere. Short-term summer rentals are fine but there's too much risk for the host in 4 week+ rentals. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Alexandra1375 

Your question made me curious so I did a web search and found that you can still buy coin operated meters. Some even accept credit cards.

They are rather expensive though.

You might talk to a licensed electrician to see if it’s legal and how much it would cost to install one.

Thanks but this doesn't exist in France. My problem is that our winter weather can be really mild or really damp and cold, so it doesn't seem fair to charge people what are quite high heating charges if they end up having good weather or if they are really aware of their heating costs. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Alexandra1375  and welcome to ABB CC from across the miles in Auckland, New Zealand

The best way to approach things is to be open and honest.

Maybe try the way you both keep a watch on it through your household outdoor meter, or indoors if you still have them inside.

Read it and take a photo of it on the day the Guest arrives and suggest you both keep photo's of it maybe on a weekly basis then it's on real time with accurate use.

Naturally some people are more conservative and considerate than others.

If your Guest/s are used to paying their own way you may find them to be conscientious, if not be understanding towards them.

I personally have found those who have lived though droughts, floods, electricity outages, etc  and/ or had to pay their own utility bills, including water, to more mindful than  others they even switch off the water in the shower as they wash their hair.

Our younger generations are learning this now to.

Thanks for your answer. With the current Airbnb setup, I can't vary the heating fees based on actual consumption and I can't identify the people that just don't care - and won't pay more at the end of their stay 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Alexandra1375 @Helen427 

I like this idea so much I’m thinking about doing it myself.

You could present it in a positive manner. You are dedicated to doing your part to combat pollution and global warming, and you want to help your guests be responsible citizens too.

The best way to do this is by demonstrating the cost of excessive energy consumption. By making them pay for it.

Show them your electric bill so they can see what you are paying per kilowatt hour, show them photos of the meter before and after, and calculate the cost.

I don’t know the cost of electricity where you are, but where we live I doubt that someone could draw more than $15 worth in one 24-hour period unless they were really trying.

If they exceeded that I would warn them once and evict them for a second offense unless they paid immediately in cash.

So perhaps you could note that you have added a $20 energy surcharge to your daily rental rate, and if they use less they will receive a partial refund.

As electronic cars become more common, I expect that pay-as-you-go meters will become common as well.

Somebody with an electric car could really run up your bill.

Airbnb forbids you from making out-of-system charges ... and as you comment, it would be really easy to keep charging your car from the house. Short-term stays are fine as the risk is limited, but longer rentals are a problem. It seems Airbnb are trying to get into the longer-term rentals market but their system doesn't offer the demands needed for this type of rental. 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Alexandra1375,

Hosts and guests are not allowed to perform financial transactions outside of the platform, Airbnb doesn't forbid charging for extra services or amenities that aren't included in the rate.  For example, sense there isn't a pet fee to cover for additional cleaning or damage, hosts often charge for this service through the Resolution Center.  We charge for airport transportation, electricity usage, and propane for the portable bar-b-que grills.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Alexandra1375,

We have tried a few different electricity monitoring and usage modifying methods.  When we first opened, only the guests had control of the air conditioners, and they would often leave them on all day.  Even when they were gone for most of the day.  We purchased the Lightwave UK-style 220v smart electricity socket for the air conditioners, and would remotely turn off the AC when we knew that guest had departed.  This socket has an app that allows us to see the electricity consumption for anything plugged into it.

Lightwave Smart Socket.jpg

When we went on a holiday in Martinique a few years ago, our host had an keyed electricity switch attached to the air conditioner's power line.  We liked the idea so much that we bought some for our guesthouse.  The key is on a small lock with the door key.  Low tech, and no app, but guests must turn off the power to the AC when they leave.  

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-30 at 7.40.45 PM.jpeg

We replaced the AC/heat pump remote controllers with Cielo Breez Plus smart controllers that are mounted to the wall, and plugged into a USB port.  With these we can remotely control the units, set temperature ranges, monitor usage, and prevents lost remotes and battery replacements.

Debra300_3-1630956371545.png

Since the guest suites are now self-catering, we charge long-term guests for their electricity usage, because they tend to stay indoors for extended periods of time.  We had our electrician connect energy meters to the 110v and 220v breakers for each suite.  They are located on the wall that guests must pass every time they enter or depart.

Guest Suite Electricty Meters.jpeg

The key and electricity deposit are the things that best influences the guests' electricity usage, and it leaves them actively aware of their AC usage.  When they are given simple methods to visually see their electricity usage, they modify their electricity usage, because they don't want to pay more.  We charge at the local rate of approximately $0.35 USD per kwh.  We take an electricity deposit of $5 USD per night (enough to run the AC for 14 hours), and any unused amount is refunded or we collect the overage at checkout.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center