stays in illegal beachside properties in Aguadilla, P.R.

stays in illegal beachside properties in Aguadilla, P.R.

I am an Airbnb customer who rents properties throughout the island in PR whenever i and my family go on a Puerto Rican vacation.  I am distressed to hear that one of your hosts rents out for thousands of dollars a beachfront property in Aguadilla, PR that he has no legal title to.  I don't like the idea that I might be enriching property owners who are renting out  properties that belong to the people of PR for his/her own profit.  I understand that tomorrow 8/10/24 concerned Puerto Rican citizens will be protesting the illegal use of of one of those beachfront properties.  I ask:  What responsibilities does Airbnb have in these situations.  A a customer I don't want to support hosts profiting of properties for which they hold no title and are in effect breaking the laws of Puerto Rico.  Thank you for reading this far and appreciate an AirBnB response.

4 Replies 4
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@J389 

If a Host is doing something that violates Puerto Rico laws, your best step would be notify the Local Government in the beach area.  They have a legal process to stop illegal activity, which would cause the Host to remove his listing or the Puerto Rican Government for that area has a process if someone continues activities that the Local Government says they can't do.

This response left me hanging.  I Surmise in your answer that Airbnb does not vet properties to ensure a secure, safe and legal stay in the property.  I surmise that I would have to do the vetting.  Thank you for your response.

@J389 

I am sorry your response leaves me surprised that you would seek assistance from  a U.S. company that provides a rental platform rather than proper Puerto Rican Government Agencies.  I would think The Puerto Rican Government wrote their own laws and like every government have the processes to insure compliance of their laws.

I wasn't seeking assistance, i was asking for information as I came across news that that a group of Puerto Rican people were protesting (not Airbnb to be clear) but the "owner" renting an illegal property.  I guess the government of PR is not doing their job so the people have to stage a protest.  I simply was wondering if Airbnb had a vetting responsibility in the matter.  I received an answer.  Thanks.