1:30am early check-in "request", non- 24 hour listing

Answered!
Sarah-and-Jeff0
Level 2
Burnsville, MN

1:30am early check-in "request", non- 24 hour listing

Just got an instant book from a newbie who informed me that they would be arriving at 1:30am this coming Saturday...

First, although my check-in hours are flexible, they are NOT 24 hours.

Second, should I accept such an early arrival, certainly the guest should be responsible for paying for an additional night of lodging (Friday night)! 

What should I do? I've only been hosting for about a month and this is a bit intimidating. 

1 Best Answer

You have choices - 

1. Write to the guest and express that a 1:30 am check in is not acceptable and that check in starts at 12pm (which is what your profile says now).  If they want to pay for the previous night to secure a 1:30 am check in, they need to alter their reservations. As a reminder to you, people rent Nights on Airbnb, not Days, so a 1:30 am is actually in the middle of the night and they need to pay for that night.  Also, "flexible" doesn't mean whenever the guest wants - it means what you said that it can be negotiated for any time.  Key to that - negotiated.  
  2. Get ahold of Airbnb and tell them you want to cancel because of the guest's behavior.  They will likely tell you to do step #1 before they will agree to cancel for you penalty-free.  As an Instant Book host, you do have a few penalty-free cancellations available to you.  You must contact them first before cancelling anyone.  Contact Airbnb
  3. Send the guest a reservation change for the extra night he needs the room.  Send him a nice email saying this is the only way you can accommodate a 1:30am check in.  If he balks, offer him the chance to find other accommmodations for the night and check in at noon or to cancel his reservation.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/can-i-change-a-reservation-as-a-host
  4. Cancel him outright and accept the penalities of cancelling as a host (not recommended - look up the penalties, they are steep - use the Help Center to get this info). 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Coln0
Level 10
George Town, Malaysia

I had a guest arrived at 6am in the morning and have to check out 12pm on the same day. You should let the guest know via Airbnb message system that check in before 12pm (or any time that you have specify) should/could be counted as extra night.

Indeed- I altered my booking details to included solid check-in and -out times instead of selecting "flexible".

You have choices - 

1. Write to the guest and express that a 1:30 am check in is not acceptable and that check in starts at 12pm (which is what your profile says now).  If they want to pay for the previous night to secure a 1:30 am check in, they need to alter their reservations. As a reminder to you, people rent Nights on Airbnb, not Days, so a 1:30 am is actually in the middle of the night and they need to pay for that night.  Also, "flexible" doesn't mean whenever the guest wants - it means what you said that it can be negotiated for any time.  Key to that - negotiated.  
  2. Get ahold of Airbnb and tell them you want to cancel because of the guest's behavior.  They will likely tell you to do step #1 before they will agree to cancel for you penalty-free.  As an Instant Book host, you do have a few penalty-free cancellations available to you.  You must contact them first before cancelling anyone.  Contact Airbnb
  3. Send the guest a reservation change for the extra night he needs the room.  Send him a nice email saying this is the only way you can accommodate a 1:30am check in.  If he balks, offer him the chance to find other accommmodations for the night and check in at noon or to cancel his reservation.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/50/can-i-change-a-reservation-as-a-host
  4. Cancel him outright and accept the penalities of cancelling as a host (not recommended - look up the penalties, they are steep - use the Help Center to get this info). 

I did a combination of 1 and 3. Very helpful, thank you! 

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

@Sarah-and-Jeff0  Hi, it's not clear to me if the guest wants to arrive EARLIER than check in time (for example 1:30am on October 5th rather than standard noon check in on October 5th) or if the guest wants to arrive super late on October 5th (technically October 6th arrival).    

Of course, if they want to arrive 12 hours prior to check-in, then they have to pay the extra night. If they want to come very late, then it's up to you whether you want to accommodate a check-in at that hour - you don't have to.

Good point! I asked for clarification from guest and indeed he wished to arrive in the wee hours of his check in date (Saturday), which, logically, wouldn't be available if another guest had booked Friday night in the interim. 

Sarah-and-Jeff0
Level 2
Burnsville, MN

And here's how it played out:

Me:

Thanks for your interest in our listing! For clarification, is it your intention to arrive at 1:30am October 8th (Friday "night"/Saturday morning) or 1:30am October 9th (Saturday "night"/Sunday morning)?

Guest:

Well my flight lands at12:05 @ Minneapolis. And 1:30 am October 8th Friday night

Me:

Sure thing- we just need to book you for Friday night as well then to secure the room for you. I'll send a reservation adjustment momentarily. 🙂   [Sent]

G:

That would still count as 3 nights?

Me:

Yes- you would need to book Friday night if you would like the space at 1:30am Saturday morning, otherwise a different guest will book for Friday night, and they will have the space until 11am Saturday morning. The earliest we're usually able to accommodate guests is noon of their check in date. (So your reservation would be valid for Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night, checking out Monday). Does this make sense? 🙂

G:

Yes it does. But I cancelled thank you!

M:

No problem- best wishes for your vacation in Minnesota!

That was rich!  Nope, not me, I don't want to pay for a 3rd night, I want to come and go as I please.   LOL!  Good on you @Sarah-and-Jeff0.