1 trip cancelled and 1 trip declined both so host can raise prices

Joel153
Level 2
Lancaster, OH

1 trip cancelled and 1 trip declined both so host can raise prices

Being new to airbnb, I have tried twice now to book a house for a couple weeks in July and both times it seems like hosts are being shady.

The first one (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/14180851) was submitted. I then received a note stating "The owner decided to use his unit for these dates." I look at the same days now and they are available but at almost double the price. This was obviously a case in which the host did not want to honor the price they had listed. Why the lie about the owner wanting to use these dates?

The second one (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20958315) was an instant book. It accepted the dates and I paid for the trip. I then received a trip modification notice that the host was asking for an additional $725. The dates were exactly the same, but the host wanted more money. I declined and the host cancelled the trip. This again was a case in which the host did not want to honor the price their house was listed at. The place is still available for the dates in July, but at a higher price. Isn't this against the airbnb policies?

So far I'm 0 for 2. I've done some searching and unfortunately it seems this is not uncommon for a host to ask for more money. Whether it is bait and switch, or a host just doesn't have their prices correct, it is very annoying as a potential traveler and it seems there is nothing I can do other than keep searching?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Joel153.  I see that you are very new having just joined Air BNB and you have no reviews as yet.  I cannot speak for these hosts' behavior, but I do know that newer hosts sometimes do not plan ahead well and manage their rates.  Usually there are fairly severe penalties for host cancellations, including blocking the dates cancelled.  That the dates are not blocked suggests to me that the host had an acceptable reason (not price) for cancelling.  One reason could be that the host requires positive reviews for Instant Book and the system allowed you to book without reviews which is a system error.

Regardless of what happened with these hosts, I have a couple of suggestions that will help you get a successful reservation.  First of all, search for listings with a "Super Host" badge.  Super Hosts rarely cancel and have 5 star ratings.  Then send an inquiry, not an IB, confirming your understanding of the listing including the price.  These steps will increase your satisfaction and hopefully will increase your enjoyment of being a guest through Air BNB.  Good luck!!

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Instant Book one of my flats - I never cancel ! 
https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/14316022

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/13559842

Cheers,
Lilian

PS: Last time that I wanted to book a place as a guest, I sent messages to half a dozen hosts just to make sure I can choose the host that's right for me.

@Joel153, what those hosts are doing is rude. It sounds like the first one was just a Booking Request, so the host was free to decline it (and then change their rates).

The second one is puzzling; if you had a confirmed reservation, and the host cancelled the trip, then they should not have been able to re-offer those dates to anyone on AirBnB. It would be entirely appropriate to report their behavior to AirBnB. It is possible they lied to AirBnB about why the trip was cancelled to get the cancellation penalties removed.

Please don't give up; hosts like the two you encountered as a very small minority. If you would report them to AirBnB then it might help reduce their numbers even further.

Clement45
Level 1
Union City, CA

I have a reservation now. Less than a month away, the host told me that he forgot to put cleaning fee into the deal. So he wants me to cancel and re-book. I have a feeling that he will raise the price as soon as I click cancel because the fact, I already told him that I have my tickets. For me to find another place at the same area would be hard and expensive. I am stalling him now and he hasn't replied my last communication yet.

However, does Airbnb would do anything if something happen like what you guys said above for him to cancel the reservations in the last minute or he did something funny at the time I arrived by not showing up? How do I or Airbnb could do to protect me?