100% Refund given despite Strict Cancellation Policy

Emily1267
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

100% Refund given despite Strict Cancellation Policy

A quick question from a new Host:

Booking for 8 people cancelled by guest as new UK Government rule restricts social gatherings to 6 (booked after 14th March so 100% Covid-related cancellation refund not valid).  The Strict Cancellation Policy means she should get 50% refund.

I got a series of confusing messages from the guest and AirBnB asking me to authorise the 50% refund - which I did.  I felt bad about her losing all the ££ so offered her an additional 25% back - but she went silent. 

I have now managed to secure another booking for the same period (had to offer a discount as it is for fewer guests).

My Dashboard now shows that the original Guest has had a 100% refund!  Is this because I have secured another booking or because I was  confused by the various messages asking for refund?  Any thoughts would be very helpful!

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Emily1267 It is because Airbnb are complying with the law of England and Wales (also works in Scotland but they are technically different) so they had to refund the guests. The EC, as currently written by Airbnb,   does not comply with the law so will be up for challenge each and every time a guest asks for a refund.

Not aware of any UK legislation that requires full refunds for C19 related cancellations for trips etc booked after start of pandemic. Most hotels etc are offering vouchers at best and many simply saying no refunds available - so why is AirBnB different. If guest agrees to a strict cancellation policy on booking why ignore  that?

@Emily1267  While I think that Airbnb hands out refunds to guests far too easily and is quite disrespectful to hosts in general, what would you expect in this situation?

The guest booked for 8 people and now both you and she would be violating the rule of 6 people only. It's not as if she just changed her mind about coming. Do you really think it's fair for a guest to have to pay anything for a booking they aren't allowed  to use?