17 now, 18 by intended stay

Hailey3
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

17 now, 18 by intended stay

Hi!

I was reading through the forums but I could only find some conversations about this topic. Since I'm very new to AirBnb, I was just wondering if I could get a general idea from hosts about how you guys would feel in this scenario/ if you would rent out their own place.

My friends and I (4 of us total) are looking to rent an apartment in Seoul, South Korea over the summer. Only two of us are 18 now while the other two are 17 but will be 18 by the time summer comes. So basically by the time of our trip we will all be legal adults, but if the older ones were to rent out a place now, will my friends and I be getting into any trouble since not all of us are 18? What are some reservations you guys have about renting out your apartments to minors? Any tips so that my friends and I can tell our hosts that we aren't crazy party animals but actually nice, friendly foodies who just want to eat great Korean food and explore it's culture? Any horror stories so my friends and I won't repeat them? Also, some of other people also told me about there being an insurance policy and how we have to be 25 years to stay at an apartment, not 18. Is this true? 

Thank you so much for reading my post!

Best, Hailey

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Hayley

My understanding is that it is the guest who books who needs to be 18, unless the host asks you for the ages of all the parties coming along they are unlikely to know.

If you like and they query it, you can say all guests will be 18 at the time of travel.

You are right some hosts are worried about hosting groups of young people because of partying and generally not looking after the place.

Just write a friendly note with your booking explaining you are there to experience the culture and food and talk about your plans. Confirm that you are a clean, tidy group of young women and will look after the place as you would your own home. (although teenagers aren't known for keeping their own place tidy so maybe scrub the last bit 🙂 )

It sounds like a wonderful experience for you all. Good luck with your trip.

Thank you so much! Your information was really helpful. Hopefully everything will work out 🙂