2 Years Later - 10 Pieces of Advice I'd Give To Myself As a New Airbnb Host!

Spencer-K0
Level 10
Logan, UT

2 Years Later - 10 Pieces of Advice I'd Give To Myself As a New Airbnb Host!

2 years ago I began my family business and Airbnb adventure by listing my cabin in Bear Lake Utah as available to rent. I now own multiple properties and manage multiple more for others in the area.

My Property

I've now gone through the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.  I've had some amazing experiences meeting people from all over the world, I've had some horrible headaches caused for me by guests.  I've loved Airbnb and I've hated Airbnb. I've endured crazy winters and dreamy summers.  I've been a Superhost, lost it, and got it back again. I've gotten stellar amazing reviews and I've gotten straight rotten ones.  Among all of that this is what I've learned and what I would tell myself if I was starting again:

1. Document everything: Before, During, After

Before - Take pictures in high definition of every square inch of your house.  Literally, break your room up into quadrants and classify each quadrant.  Specific details you will look back on later, paint chips, holes, wear and tear, it will give you a base-line to compare damage to. Additionally, create a google spreadsheet of every item in your home, where you got it from, a link for a replacement, a picture of the receipt if you have it.  Categorize items by room.

During - Some people oppose to this, but get video surveillance for your property; both inside and out.  I have one internal camera in the main living room by the front door, and two outside watching my back deck and front door.  This becomes particularly valuable in disputes.  You have proof besides photos of dog hair that "could of been there when they arrived" (for no pet policies), or threw a party that got out of hand, or heaven forbid, walked out the front door with some of your stuff. Always make sure you disclose that your property is under video surveillance to abide by Airbnb's Terms & Conditions. My favorite is the Nest Cam for Outdoors, the 10-day playback subscription has paid for itself time and time again as a burden of proof.

After - I have created something I call my "100 Point Checklist". I have well over 100 items to check throughout my property after my guest leaves.  Some of the key things on my list: count the towels, check each wall for holes/nicks, check the HDMI inputs on the TV, document any new scratches in the wood floor, check each comforter for stains, check couches for stains/things that got underneath, check all windows, check the carpet by room for stains, and many many more.  This allows you to truly document the wear and tear in your property vs the damage and plan accordingly to address each.

2. Automate Your Property

While some hosts enjoy the thrill of spending time with their guests.  I have found 95% of guests do not want/require the interaction.  In these cases, I have automated my check in process.  This also helps me as I now have multiple properties (multiple forms of income) that are difficult to be in multiple places at once.  Key things to automate: Heater/AC & Front Door.  Everything else is extra and not really needed.  My favorite smart home integration is through Vera Controllers and connecting Nest Thermostats and the Kwikset 916 front door lock into the system.  I LOVE the Kwikset 916, it has a touchpad that you can change the code to the last 4 digits of the guest's phone number and let them remotely access the property, while still maintaining security.

3. Always Be the Bigger Person

I learned this lesson the hard way.  You will have demanding people, you will have rude people, you will host straight horribly demeaning people.  They will yell, they will curse you, they will demand refunds for largely unsubstantiated claims and for events that are sometimes out of your control.  I once had someone trash my property, he refused to be responsible and was so rude.  I let my anger get the better of me and told him what I really thought of him through the messenger.  It didn't make me feel any better, plus Airbnb decided not to award my claim case because of it.  Always take a second step back, breath, then address the situation. It always ends better.

4. Be Quick to Apologize, Then Quickly Go Above and Beyond

I once had a booking where I just couldn't get it turned around and clean in time.  I was 2 hours late for check-in.  Amongst hundreds of bookings, things like this will happen eventually. If I was in my guest's shoes I would be furious.  I quickly apologized, got them into my property and situated and quickly called the local pizza shop (which in Bear Lake is phenomenal). I had them hand deliver some gift card to my guest and told them pizza was on me.  What could have turned into a disastrous review, became one of my most glowing review that has netted me MANY additional bookings!

5. ALWAYS Ask For Reviews & Feedback

Here is the exact message I send to every guest after they check-out, "I work very had for 5-Star reviews as they help my business a lot.  This property is my small family business and a review goes a long way for us! If you enjoyed your stay, and wouldn't mind could you please write us a review about your favorite parts of our property?  Also, if you had anything go wrong or suggestions on how we could improve would you please send them to me in this messenger as we welcome your feedback and love to improve". This magic message has brought me more 5-Star reviews than any other property in our area.  It also serves as a release for guests to get the negative stuff off their chest before they put it in a review.  I've phrased it to seem like I genuinely want their feedback, which I do, and have learned some of my most valuable ideas to make my property stand out from this feedback from my guests.

6. Don't Respond, Instead Start the Conversation

So many hosts try to keep their status by being "quick to respond". Tell them the information before they ask for it, be good at communicating everything they will need to know. You will get better at this over time.  Remember, 80% of messages you need to send on Airbnb can be pre-written and sent at the opportune moment.  Some examples: Directions, Check-in Instructions, How is Your Stay Going?, Check-out Instructions, Review Request.

7. Forge Local Partnerships

Areas are dubbed the term "communities" for a reason.  It denotes the ability to help each other out.  Take time to create a recommended list of "things to do" or "my favorites to visit" then go to the people on that list and let them know what you are doing, that you will have guests you'd like to send to them.  Ask for exclusive discounts or partnerships.  Not only can this turn into a second form of income from the referrals, it makes your guest feel special and well taken care of!

8. Take a Trip Yourself

Get out and go somewhere.  Book someone else's Airbnb, take note of their style, and how they do things. Pay attention to what it feels like to be a guest.  Nothing is better for putting yourself in your guests shoes than by being one yourself.

9. Always Follow-Up With Guests

When someone sends you a request, they are likely looking at multiple other properties similar to yours.  They send multiple hosts requests, they get excited about their trip but then they wait to hear back from all the hosts, plus get feedback from those taking the trip with them.  If you have approved someone to book, and they haven't responded in 2-3 days reach out with a special offer and knock off 5% off the price. Everyone likes scoring a deal, help your guests feel like you will make it worth their while to stay with you.  This isn't a hard statistic, but I would guess this tip has netted me at least 15% more bookings.

10. Be Grateful

It is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle, it is easy to get frustrated with bad guests, it is easy to get overwhelmed by all the things to do with your property and life.  Take a second, step back and find some gratitude for the opportunity to rub shoulders with diverse people in your life.  Take a second to find gratitude for the extra income your property provides.  Take a second and be grateful for the things that make your life great! It will really help you enjoy the journey, and love what you do!

This was mainly for me as I look back on my journey. However, I hope it has some value to someone out there!

Cheers.

120 Replies 120

I have avoided people that cause trouble by increasing my rates to stay out of the slums, however, if you have those earning flags going up, it may be of benefit to cancel them prior to they're stay. 

Thanks for the advice we are nnewbies 

Rosemary19
Level 4
Victoria, Australia

Hi Spencer,

thanks for sharing such valuable tips! I especially liked your message to guests about 5 star reviews and the idea of taking trips so you can experience life in the shoes of a guest. I personally wouldn't want to go down the video surveillance path, but each to their own! One of my favourite tips is a handwritten welcome note and some chocolates on the pillow.

cheers,

rosemary

@Spencer-K0.

We do not have the kind of problems you mentioned in South America, people are pretty normal here. 

LOL! 😄

people are pretty normal everywhere, but sometimes happen that just 1 guest make your life a hell, so is better be ready for that! 

be ready my friend, be ready! 😄

Cheers Raf

Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and tips.  I got a lot from this.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great overview of your experience here @Spencer-K0, thanks for creating this and sharing it with us all here in the Community Center.  I particularly like the 'Take a trip' piece of advice. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Marietta-And-Randy-Dobbs0
Level 2
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

Excellent advice.. I have a cottage Im thinking of renting  out as well..  ll be a bit more carefull on this to whom I rent.

Laurie85
Level 1
Pittsburgh, PA

Spencer and all,

Thank you so very much for sharing. We are just stepping into hosting. And while there are some given hosting elements, learning from others and how they have grown their business is very helpful. Thanks again!

laurie

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

Thank you so much, @Spencer-K0 !

Kandi2
Level 1
Houston, TX

Very informative. Thanks! 

Houri0
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

@Spencer-K0

If/when you had someone damage or steal your property does the Airbnb host guarantee cover those costs? For instance, if the guests claims that they have done nothing wrong what will Airbnb do to support the hosts?

Hi @Houri0. Just search a few "host damages" threads and you'll find some opinions on this. Fun is had by all 🙂 

Houri. AirBNB is unlikely to honour your claim unless you have very detailed before and after evidence of the items you own and their quality. This is why it is very important to have before and after photos and a checklist. I own a property which a Real Estate agent manages for me. They do a detailed entry and exit inspection report with photos with each tenant. I'm going to do this with all my AirBNB guests from now on.

@Spencer-K0  Great list Spencer! Think #1 depends on the property itself and even though one can disclose that property is under surveillance, not sure how guests will feel about this.  I know that if we were doing #8 on your list 😉 that's something I'm not sure if we would even be comfortable with a property having all the videos around.  Love #8 and #10 🙂

Thanks for sharing!