2 Years Later - 10 Pieces of Advice I'd Give To Myself As a New Airbnb Host!

Spencer-K0
Level 10
Logan, UT

2 Years Later - 10 Pieces of Advice I'd Give To Myself As a New Airbnb Host!

2 years ago I began my family business and Airbnb adventure by listing my cabin in Bear Lake Utah as available to rent. I now own multiple properties and manage multiple more for others in the area.

My Property

I've now gone through the good, the bad, and the downright ugly.  I've had some amazing experiences meeting people from all over the world, I've had some horrible headaches caused for me by guests.  I've loved Airbnb and I've hated Airbnb. I've endured crazy winters and dreamy summers.  I've been a Superhost, lost it, and got it back again. I've gotten stellar amazing reviews and I've gotten straight rotten ones.  Among all of that this is what I've learned and what I would tell myself if I was starting again:

1. Document everything: Before, During, After

Before - Take pictures in high definition of every square inch of your house.  Literally, break your room up into quadrants and classify each quadrant.  Specific details you will look back on later, paint chips, holes, wear and tear, it will give you a base-line to compare damage to. Additionally, create a google spreadsheet of every item in your home, where you got it from, a link for a replacement, a picture of the receipt if you have it.  Categorize items by room.

During - Some people oppose to this, but get video surveillance for your property; both inside and out.  I have one internal camera in the main living room by the front door, and two outside watching my back deck and front door.  This becomes particularly valuable in disputes.  You have proof besides photos of dog hair that "could of been there when they arrived" (for no pet policies), or threw a party that got out of hand, or heaven forbid, walked out the front door with some of your stuff. Always make sure you disclose that your property is under video surveillance to abide by Airbnb's Terms & Conditions. My favorite is the Nest Cam for Outdoors, the 10-day playback subscription has paid for itself time and time again as a burden of proof.

After - I have created something I call my "100 Point Checklist". I have well over 100 items to check throughout my property after my guest leaves.  Some of the key things on my list: count the towels, check each wall for holes/nicks, check the HDMI inputs on the TV, document any new scratches in the wood floor, check each comforter for stains, check couches for stains/things that got underneath, check all windows, check the carpet by room for stains, and many many more.  This allows you to truly document the wear and tear in your property vs the damage and plan accordingly to address each.

2. Automate Your Property

While some hosts enjoy the thrill of spending time with their guests.  I have found 95% of guests do not want/require the interaction.  In these cases, I have automated my check in process.  This also helps me as I now have multiple properties (multiple forms of income) that are difficult to be in multiple places at once.  Key things to automate: Heater/AC & Front Door.  Everything else is extra and not really needed.  My favorite smart home integration is through Vera Controllers and connecting Nest Thermostats and the Kwikset 916 front door lock into the system.  I LOVE the Kwikset 916, it has a touchpad that you can change the code to the last 4 digits of the guest's phone number and let them remotely access the property, while still maintaining security.

3. Always Be the Bigger Person

I learned this lesson the hard way.  You will have demanding people, you will have rude people, you will host straight horribly demeaning people.  They will yell, they will curse you, they will demand refunds for largely unsubstantiated claims and for events that are sometimes out of your control.  I once had someone trash my property, he refused to be responsible and was so rude.  I let my anger get the better of me and told him what I really thought of him through the messenger.  It didn't make me feel any better, plus Airbnb decided not to award my claim case because of it.  Always take a second step back, breath, then address the situation. It always ends better.

4. Be Quick to Apologize, Then Quickly Go Above and Beyond

I once had a booking where I just couldn't get it turned around and clean in time.  I was 2 hours late for check-in.  Amongst hundreds of bookings, things like this will happen eventually. If I was in my guest's shoes I would be furious.  I quickly apologized, got them into my property and situated and quickly called the local pizza shop (which in Bear Lake is phenomenal). I had them hand deliver some gift card to my guest and told them pizza was on me.  What could have turned into a disastrous review, became one of my most glowing review that has netted me MANY additional bookings!

5. ALWAYS Ask For Reviews & Feedback

Here is the exact message I send to every guest after they check-out, "I work very had for 5-Star reviews as they help my business a lot.  This property is my small family business and a review goes a long way for us! If you enjoyed your stay, and wouldn't mind could you please write us a review about your favorite parts of our property?  Also, if you had anything go wrong or suggestions on how we could improve would you please send them to me in this messenger as we welcome your feedback and love to improve". This magic message has brought me more 5-Star reviews than any other property in our area.  It also serves as a release for guests to get the negative stuff off their chest before they put it in a review.  I've phrased it to seem like I genuinely want their feedback, which I do, and have learned some of my most valuable ideas to make my property stand out from this feedback from my guests.

6. Don't Respond, Instead Start the Conversation

So many hosts try to keep their status by being "quick to respond". Tell them the information before they ask for it, be good at communicating everything they will need to know. You will get better at this over time.  Remember, 80% of messages you need to send on Airbnb can be pre-written and sent at the opportune moment.  Some examples: Directions, Check-in Instructions, How is Your Stay Going?, Check-out Instructions, Review Request.

7. Forge Local Partnerships

Areas are dubbed the term "communities" for a reason.  It denotes the ability to help each other out.  Take time to create a recommended list of "things to do" or "my favorites to visit" then go to the people on that list and let them know what you are doing, that you will have guests you'd like to send to them.  Ask for exclusive discounts or partnerships.  Not only can this turn into a second form of income from the referrals, it makes your guest feel special and well taken care of!

8. Take a Trip Yourself

Get out and go somewhere.  Book someone else's Airbnb, take note of their style, and how they do things. Pay attention to what it feels like to be a guest.  Nothing is better for putting yourself in your guests shoes than by being one yourself.

9. Always Follow-Up With Guests

When someone sends you a request, they are likely looking at multiple other properties similar to yours.  They send multiple hosts requests, they get excited about their trip but then they wait to hear back from all the hosts, plus get feedback from those taking the trip with them.  If you have approved someone to book, and they haven't responded in 2-3 days reach out with a special offer and knock off 5% off the price. Everyone likes scoring a deal, help your guests feel like you will make it worth their while to stay with you.  This isn't a hard statistic, but I would guess this tip has netted me at least 15% more bookings.

10. Be Grateful

It is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle, it is easy to get frustrated with bad guests, it is easy to get overwhelmed by all the things to do with your property and life.  Take a second, step back and find some gratitude for the opportunity to rub shoulders with diverse people in your life.  Take a second to find gratitude for the extra income your property provides.  Take a second and be grateful for the things that make your life great! It will really help you enjoy the journey, and love what you do!

This was mainly for me as I look back on my journey. However, I hope it has some value to someone out there!

Cheers.

120 Replies 120
Ernest4
Level 1
Arlington, VA

Thank you for your thoughtful article and suggestions. I'm a very new host in Crystal City, Virginia and it was very helpful...particularly about being pro active and providing ample information and instructions before hand. Your advice about asking for feedback and suggestions from guests before they write reviews was also helpful. Wish I'd read it before my last two guests.

Both gueests wrote very favorable reviews but made "comments" along with their "private review" in the "comments" sections re "communication" and "location". Although minor in both instances, Airbnb considered the "comment" unfavorable with regard to my rating for both guests.

Concerning the first guest's "comment" re "location" it stated that I "tried twice to change the terms" without specifiying anything. It pertained to my attempt to change the cancellation policy shortly after they accepted. Despite his willingness to allow me to do such I saw that Airbnb doesn't allow that after accepting a guests request. The other had to do with being "a bit out of the way in traveling to DC" (my place is 4 miles) from the Mall in DC) despite stating at the same time that the location is "very convenient" to public transportation. Live and learn & " let it go".

Thanks again for your insights.

Ernie

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What a great post @Spencer-K0

The only issue I would disagree with is having video surveillance inside the home. Personally I feel this is intrusive and I wouldn't want to stay somewhere where I knew the host had the ability to watch/hear my every movement in the living area. If I want to walk around with little on or make a personal call I want to feel free to do so 🙂

However, this doesn't seem to be affecting your bookings so it sounds like I am in a minority 🙂

Like @Andrea I only take verified guests in my home. It only takes guests moments to upload ID and I think for whole home lettings in particular it is an extra layer of security, that helps every host feel more comfortable about who is in their property.

I have only every had one guest who didn't feel comfortable doing this, so I recommended a nearby property that didn't require this. 

Thank you for posting!

Thanks for the great list and your thoughts. We are experienced hosts and were able to find a couple of take-aways from the list.

I do take exception to the surveillance inside the home, though. We have cameras outside all of our rentals (airbnb and non-airbnb both). We have found that most guests simply ignore them or do not notice them, but it has been nice to be able to check on the properties, more so when they are not rented as they add a layer of protection when the houses are empty too.

I feel that inside the home would be intrusive and I also would immediately leave and file a complaint if I found a camera inside a rented home. Have you checked with an attorney about the legality of placing one in a living area of a rented home?

I agree @Tim&Holly

(see my post above yours expressing the same sentiment)

However, if the host does specify clearly that they have video surveillance inside the home, I am not sure you could file a complaint about it (as you have chosen the listing knowing this).

I would simply not choose the listing, however nice it might be, because of them having surveillance inside the home.

I could not find any mention of it in his listings. He might say it in the house rules that get emailed after booking, but that does not count.

Hi @Tim-and-Holly0

If it's not mentioned in the listing, then I think a guest would have a reason to cancel if they found after booking there was CCTV inside the home.

It is definitely included in my listing. Not all my properties have cameras inside.

Lisa213
Level 2
Vashon, WA

I am so glad I read your message.  I am a bit discouraged because I lost my super status due

to "The Guest" getting upset about an issue "they did."  And immediately the 5 stars they

were going to give me upon leaving dropped to less, becaue they did something. Or the

previous guest did something such as take a hair blower upsetting the next guest ....points

dropped. This guest later sent me a brand new one.  One guest just took a decorative coaster

2 days ago which I am contepwhich was part of a set ...I didn't bring it

up yet. It will be about $7 to replace. The other guest smoked out every room with

black smoke ...and then smudged in different places with her 2 or 3 fingers.  I

think she is the girlfriend of a man I had become friends with on facebook, but

now believe this is his wife.  My lawyer told me to let it go to not stir up more

issues, but I think I need to report it (after the 14 days).  Or report it to Law

Enforcment.  I have had situations in the past in life in general and reporting

a crazy person only has aserbated them.  I really do like the idea about the

cameras. And what of cleaning fees. I don't charge them since we live on

an island, but have just put in a refundable cleaning fee.  My guests have to

take a ferry to our island and I ask our guests to start the dishwasher, and throw

in 1 load of laundry.  Most due.  Consequently no maid service fee.  

Pamela53
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for taking the time to write this summary. Great tips! Thank you!!

I was married to a lawyer, so I want to further add this:  I wouldn't do surveilance cameras inside the

home.  Only outside.  Also to to document and report to Air Bnb. And to make Police Reports, even

if your police reports are late (as mine will be). This documentation is as good as any camera.

Perhaps keeping a form.ledger  (which I am thinking of doing) with each cleaning visit and a handwritten

note in a formal section for damage, items taken.

I just had a guest stay here at my bed and breakfast and they returned our Christmas tablecloth.  Then

they took some cute plastic ice cube trays.  I had a red and pink heart ice cube tray and they took the

red one. Of course, I can replace that with another from Michael's or Target.  (At least I have one tray

left).    I know now that my consistant problems here of late are due to a Bnb competitor.  

This guest came back to leave a tip, or did he reallly?   I generally don't clean, but I was cleaning the

guest house this Friday.  (My daughter is a college student and we share the cleaning). This is her college

money.  It was at this cleaning I noticed the Christmas tablecloth was back and in the same place.

I definately have to upgrade my entrance code system.  Right away.  

Mary328
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you for the heads up! appreciated

Wait...you have a camera INSIDE the unit!?  Am I reading that correctly?  I can see having cameras outside the unit, but once inside if a guest wants to walk around with their underwear or walk naked from the bedroom to the bathroom...isn't kind of very weird to have a camera inside the unit?  I'm an AirBnB host, and I've rented many places and never done damage, but I'd NEVER rent a place with a camera inside.  

Heather86
Level 3
Portland, OR

Thank you for yet another reminder to be pre-emptive about any future claims by taking photographs to document the condition of the home. I will do this. But, since I cannot (nor do I want to) before EACH guest, I will do it once and then look for ways to verify condition between guests.

There were recent posts about nightmare guests who damage things and then claim it was already that way. Unless you take pics each time, you are out of luck. People shared stories that seemed to suggest that airbnb has a poor record of taking the side of the guests. So...I have been thinking about a checklist that guests initial at arrival attesting to the condition. This would be kind of like a car rental or car share app where you note the damage at the start of your rental. So essentially the host and the guest both initial "yeah, I know that counter is chipped" and then everyone can relax. 

I should say this forum attracts the horror stories but so far so good -- no major damage for me! I feel lucky that my studio is attached to the house and rather than lead people to belive that they have their "own" house I make it abundantly clear that we are right next door (kind of like a duplex - converted garage) and that it's perfect for 1-2 people only. I don't think I'd want like a house that sleeps six in a ski town to boot. Just too ripe for partiers.

And as for taking a trip -- I have stayed at 3 airbnbs this past year and have been disappointed in each one by the slapdash mismatched decor, thrift store kitchen ware, older frayed towels, etc. I feel like my place is immaculate and really nice in comparison. So if not to get other ideas, stay at other places to see how great your place may be too!

Heather. Thanks to this article and the numerous replies I now intend to have an entry inspection report for the tenant to sign that they agree on the condition of the property. It is also peace of mind for them as it will identify any damage that was there prior to their arrival. Much like an entry inspection report from a Real Estate agent. At the same time I will be asking for photo identification. All of this I will specify on my profile which I plan on updating in the next few weeks before I host again. I've had enough bad guests with little or no recourse.