2 x young guests, booked by mother - flooded flat with rice in sink and caused have with neighbours

Semi1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

2 x young guests, booked by mother - flooded flat with rice in sink and caused have with neighbours

What is my recourse? I've had to have a plumber in to unblock the sink, apologise profusely to my neighbours who didn't sleep well for the entire time they were there - and cancel 2 subsequent bookings at a cost of 100 dollars to me!! Can't be fair. Can't see any sort of recourse. How do I hold on to or reclaim the £150 damage deposit? 

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Semi1

You need to lodge a claim within 24 hours and before future guests arrive. For AirBnB you need proof, so photos, invoices, etc are essential. In addition email the guests and ask directly for £x

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Semi1

Just saw this was a 3rd party booking so claiming will eclipse to impossible- best option is to get them to agree to pay up, or use your own home insurance (assuming you have updated that to cover hosting)

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Semi1

This is an unfortunate situation. When did you find out that your guests were making noise and upsetting your neighbours.

Really you should have asked them to leave when you knew they were upsetting your neighbours (presume you have house rules that talk about noise levels).

You can try and ask for compensation but unfortunately as @Gerry-And-Rashid0 mentioned you accepted a third party booking booking contrary to Airbnb rules, so you can't claim through Airbnb's guarantee.

Contact the mother, explain what happened and see if she will help.

Make sure you leave an honest review.

Going forward don't take third party bookings. I would also put your prices up your rates are very too low for that part of London. Also vet your guests to find out more about them and their plans before you accept a booking.