20% Discount Calculation

20% Discount Calculation

I'm confused by the "Special offer: 20% off" value (screenshot from my receipt below).

$1368 * 0.2 = $273.6. Any idea where this 258.8 comes from? Thank you!

Alex8337_0-1637552056192.png

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alex8337  The host probably has a 20% discount set. If it's a new listing, Airbnb puts a 20% discount on it for the first few bookings, which is something a lot of new hosts are actually unaware of and are taken by surprise when their payout isn't what they were expecting. Hosts can turn it off if they want, but it's set by default.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Alex8337     Calculating backwards from $258.60 gives  $1293.00.    The difference between $1293.00 and $1368.00 is exactly $75.00. 

At first glance that looks to be about the tax amount. My  room charge doesn't show tax-inclusive, so I can't say for sure if that's the issue. Maybe some jurisdictions show pricing tax-inclusive. Or maybe there's something in the room charge that isn't discounted. 

The room charge is your average over the 5 nights if different nights were priced differently (e.g. weekdays or weekends). 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alex8337 Nope - It makes no sense to me. I just hope you were happy with the total price paid.

Nikki58
Level 2
Elgin, United Kingdom

I am trying to work out if I send an additional special offer to a potential guest for a 5 weeks stay, how will it be calcuated?

Presumably what I take home will be reduced?  - there is nowhere that confirms how special offers on top of already calculated discounts are calculate on the website.  Help contacts appear to not know and send the links (information) already on the website.

Much of the changes on this website appear to have been made to suit registered business while many of us are renting spaces in our own properties.