$250 million support fund - not real for most hosts (must read)

$250 million support fund - not real for most hosts (must read)

I was happy to see that Airbnb released this fund to help hosts but I felt like there was some shadiness to it and now it’s confirmed. See below from Airbnb’s update on April 9:

Since cash disbursements depend on the amount owed to you by guests at the time of cancellation, those of you with Flexible and Moderate policies may be less likely to benefit from them.”

My Airbnb is on the coast of South Carolina (moderate policy) where most policies are moderate or flexible to stay competitive and the Governor made it so that short term rentals can no longer rent out during this pandemic, so your update to make it search friendly is irrelevant. When my reservations canceled, there was no chance to rent again and now I don’t have a chance to participate in this fund? This sounds like a pure political and press play to sound like they’re doing more than they are. Shame.  Add your comments and share your concern here and outside the community page.  @Brian @Anonymous 

10 Replies 10
Karen-And-Peter1
Level 2
South Carolina, United States

I agree it seems like a PR stunt

Agreed! 

Under their current policy,  people who have strict cancellation policies will keep 25% of the original payout amount, while those of us who chose a moderate policy to give our guests the flexibility to change their travel plans are the ones who end up getting nothing from this policy.   For us,  we only have the potential to earn 12.5% of the original payout amount, and ONLY if the guests wait until 5 or fewer days before the trip to cancel.    

It seems that Airbnb has always encouraged hosts to choose more flexible cancellation policies to “encourage more bookings.”  In my opinion, this is less work for everyone involved and feels fairer to the guests.  So why are we being punished for trying to make all of our lives easier, give the guests more control, and not take up time from the support staff?  

We have had 22 guest cancellations (124 nights) so far that specifically mentioned COVID 19 as the reason for the cancellation and our earnings are now $0 for all of those reservations.  

Oscar667
Level 2
New York, NY

Just spoke with customer service, they know nothing about this fund... Seems it is a publicity stunt.  All my reservations that were canceled meet the required criteria for a 25% payout from a strict cancelation policy.. not a single email has been sent to me from airbnb or payout.  I've contacted customer service and the poor representative had no idea what to say cause they haven't been given any info, she said no one at the company has any more info and to "please just be patient". 

This is a publicity stunt to get headlines that say "Airbnb $250 fund given to host" and it's working, this headline is everywhere but hosts aren't receiving anything...

Hosts, speak up if you qualify for this! Don't stay silent!

Nicole162
Level 2
Austin, TX

I also fall in to the criteria for the 25% payout, yet haven't heard anything from Airbnb regarding a payout.

Hosts get 25% of what they *would have received*, before airbnb overrode the host's policy.  Regardless of whether you have a strict, moderate, or flexible policy.  Although I have a moderate cancel policy and lost a lot of money due to cancellations, I don't see how airbnb is penalizing me, or any other host, who had a  moderate or flexible policy.  They are being entirely consistent.  It seems your argument should be with whomever restricted travel or banned short term rentals.  We are all "downstream" of those decisions.  A big question however is WHEN will airbnb send out the 25% payments?  Chesky said "starting in April" but it seems few if any hosts have received them?   Airbnb has all the necessary information in their database so it should be easy to fulfill.

As a host with a moderate cancellation policy, I agree with the sentiment of the original post. The $250 million to support hosts offers little (or nothing in my case) to hosts with a guest-friendly cancellation policy.  Airbnb even acknowledges this (quote at the top of this thread).  The fund only helps hosts that had the strictest cancellation policies, which Airbnb itself has discouraged.  It makes no sense.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I personally don't have an issue with the policy. 

I think it's clear that it's for hosts with a strict policy as they are the ones that would normally be able to keep 50% or 100% when a guest cancels.

Some hosts decided to use a flexible or moderate policy because you felt it would generate more bookings for you. This means guests would have been entitled to cancel and get their money back from you anyway regardless of the EC policy for the virus.

Some of us chose strict policies because it worked better for our STR business model despite Airbnb telling us to chose flexible/moderate.

In terms of your personal circumstances have your tried doing STR for key workers or moving to LTRs. @Eli15975 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen3  "Some hosts decided to use a flexible or moderate policy because you felt it would generate more bookings for you."

This seems to be a common misperception among hosts with Strict policies. I didn't choose my moderate policy with any idea that it would generate more bookings, and @Susan17's research indicates that it doesn't. Most guests don't even bother to look at or understand the terms of the various cancellation policies. I think it's low on the list of what makes a guest choose one listing over another.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is based on what some hosts with these policies say on these forums when complaining that they are not eligible for the partial refund  for those with striction cancellation policies. Absolutely agree that is not what everyone policies does @Sarah977 

That's why I have said SOME hosts in my post and not all.