2nd guest wants refund for stay

2nd guest wants refund for stay

My second guest just checked out. She was an hour late checking out and as she was about to leave she noticed that one of the vehicles there was an attempted break in. Luckily just the window was cracked and they didn't get into the car and take anything. It was parked in our driveway off of a public street. She is asking Airbnb to refund her entire stay for this. When she asked me what to do because it was on our Premises I told her to file a police report and file a claim with her car insurance.  Do you think Airbnb will refund her stay for this??? I don't understand why she feels I am responsible.  I do understand it would be upsetting and distressing and am very sorry it happened. 

*it definitely seems a rare event for our area. I have left stacks of packages outside for days and never even had anything taken.

21 Replies 21
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Rachel1893,

She has misplaced logic in trying to assign responsibility to you for the attempted vehicle break-in.  You offer free parking so guests will have a dedicated spot to leave their vehicles and not get ticketed, but that doesn't imply that you're assuming responsibility for damages caused by others.  Since your listing states that security cameras are on premise, you could probably offer to provide the police a copy of the recording from the nights during her stay.

Thank you for your feedback 😊 unfortunately, our cameras aren't angled to be have been able to view that side of her vehicle but our neighbors are so I contacted them, hopefully something turns up for them.

Hopeful that Airbnb finds the appropriate resolution. I would have a lot if misgivings if guests can make these types of claims and not have to pay for their stay 😕 

@Rachel1893 If I were you, I might contact Airbnb to get ahead of this situation. Airbnb CS ambassadors these days are pretty hapless and I could see them just going ahead and refunding, either in part or in full. Once that happens, it will be next to impossible to have it reversed. Get it on record what’s happened, that the guest may attempt a refund, and that you are not in agreement. 

Unfortunately they already requested a refund through airbnb. I told the Ambassador what happened that I wasn't liable. I havent heard back yet. The guest didn't ask me for a refund or tell me they were going to request one. Preparing myself for a bad review 😞

@Rachel1893 Unreal. Fingers crossed this rep is on the ball. If you do get a bad review, just remember you have the opportunity to respond. Your audience in a response is future guests, not the reviewing guest. Be professional and brief. And do warn other hosts about this guest with an accurate review of her. 

Yes, I am already trying to formulate a good response. I'm sure she may also mention that I didn't let her wait inside the house while she waited for police to arrive. I was very apologetic that I couldn't do so because my cleaners were preparing the house for our next guests arriving in a couple hours and they told me their liability insurance does not allow guests in the premises while they are cleaning a unit, and their schedule was too booked to come back later. I even looked for alternate cleaners who could come in a little later but no one was available. 

The only thing I could offer was that they stay at a coffee house nearby.

Here is the response I am preparing in the event of her poor review 😞

"I am so sorry our Guest had such a distressing event on her last day with us. We do our best to go the extra mile to give our guests a great experience so we are upset that this happened to her in our lovely neighborhood."

Any suggestions? Too long, too detailed?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just tell the guest that it is unreasonable and unfair for her to try and claim a complete refund on the accommodation she booked because sadly there was an incident where there was an attempted break in of her car on your premises.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rachel1893 

A full refund is ridiculous (actually any refund is ridiculous) and I hope Airbnb recognise this.

I suggest you don't review this guest until the last minute in the hope that 1) she doesn't review you and 2) It will delay the point at which her review becomes public allowing you to hopefully get more bookings. 

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely do what you have suggested! 

It is very disheartening that people do these things. I had prepared myself for something like this but didn't realize it would happen straight away!

@Rachel1893 

did you read Airbnb's Host protection insurance? https://www.airbnb.ie/d/host-protection-insurance

It's for such cases when a guest or guest's property is hurt during his stay.

Here is a link to Airbnb  terms of service for Non-European users, maybe you find something helpful https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/2908/terms-of-service

Thank for the information! In this type of case it doesn't appear they would cover it? It says "

• Damage or injury resulting from something done intentionally (not an accident)

This was something definitely done intentionally. 

Does anyone have any insight into how long it might be until Airbnb makes their decision? Is there anything more I can or should do?

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Rachel1893 

Two points for consideration...

1 - Who's to say the guest didn't do the damage herself?

2 - Add a disclaimer to your  House Rules that " Altough rare, you are not liable for any intentional  acts of negligence/vandalism that may occur on your premises."

Just my opinion.