3 star review has ruined my Superhost status

Lucy742
Level 1
Reading, VT

3 star review has ruined my Superhost status

I recently received a 3 star review and my rating is now below the requirement for Superhost.

The public review was very positive: "We were in the area for a special event and Lucy's cabin was just what we needed - a comfortable place to change and sleep. Very easy to find and a very peaceful, beautiful setting."

Even the private note was very mild: "Hi Lucy - a fan in each bedroom would be helpful during the hot, humid weather. Also, some of the electrical outlets didn't seem to be working." 

I met the renters after their one-night stay and asked how it was and they said it was perfect.  In any event, the guest feels that 3 stars is a good review! Is there anything I can do as a host? I have 107 reviews and the vast majority are 5 Stars. I have been a Superhost for several years now but it appears I will lose that status due to this one 3 star review. 

Thanks! Lucy
7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lucy742  Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it- hopefully you will get more 5* reviews before the next assessment period to bring the rating up.

I'd be really tempted to private message guests like this. " Your 3* rating, after indicating that everything was perfect when we spoke on your departure, has lowered my rating so I will now lose my Superhost status. Thanks a lot. Had you asked for a fan, I would have brought you one."

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Lucy742, @Sarah977 

I would add something like...

"Since I met with you, personally, to check in and make sure that everything was to your satisfaction, I am truly dissapointed that you were not open or honest with me. As well, you denied me  the opportunity to resolve your concerns".  I hope that, in the future, you are more conscious of how your  actions impact those hosts whose lives depend on Airbnb income.  We wish you all the best in your future Airbnb travels.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I like @Sarah977 's message to the guest and I would be tempted. It may save a future host from an unjustified mediocre score.

@Lucy742 You have the rest of August and all of September to recoup your standing. Keep in mind that Superhost is only measured on your performance in the last year (in this case October 1, 2020 - September 30th, 2021) and not on your overall rating. So technically you are only sitting on 17 reviews. as of now. Some more 5 star reviews before the end of September can bring your rating up a lot.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lucy742To become and remain super host just doing everything perfectly isn't always enough.

We lost our status when we couldn't host for 1 year due to earthquake damages on our building's chimneys. Then we start hosting again but due to Covid we didn't have 10 completed stays until the end of the evaluation period ( our 10th stay was still ongoing). And when it seemed we will have all requirements by October we got a fraudster guest who demanded a full refund after his stay based on fabricated allegations. I didn't answer and accept his request the same day so the next day he left 1* review.

Oh, well, It seems karma is against us 🙂

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Lucy742, @Branka-and-Silvia0

If you haven't seen this yet😊  Things will get better!

1855404720_26798414448099.jpeg

@M199 

😄 😄 😄 lol

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lucy742 

Same happened to me, only the guest only left positive comments in the private note so no idea what she was unhappy about although I suspect it was that I wouldn't agree to extra discounts.

Seems you got your Superhost status back though! 

Guests like these are a total pain in the butt. I absolutely hate it when guests tell you everything is 'perfect' and then wait to the review/ratings to bring up a gripe that could have been sorted out if they had been honest. Some people just don't have either the maturity or the confidence to voice complaints directly.