3rd Party review removal

Carly142
Level 4
Rogers, AR

3rd Party review removal

Need some help with getting Airbnb to remove a guest review.

The guest booked for her boyfriend, boyfriend caused a ton of damage, the guest says *in writing on Airbnb messenger* "I booked this for my boyfriend, I didn't stay there. He said he didn't break anything" (I should add that until this happened I had no indication this was a 3rd party reservation, the guest did not respond to any messaging until the issue) 

@Airbnb helped me cover damages after I did an aircover request but now they are saying they can't remove the 1-star review?

@Airbnb admitted that they know this guest never stayed with me, but they have "an internal policy" that is not available to hosts (and she read it to me, so this is an IN WRITING POLICY that affects hosts that they keep secret, even though we are forced to comply with it!?) that basically says they are fine with 3rd party reviews and they are "in-line" with Airbnb review policy.

The review policy I can see (and therefore agree to by hosting with them) says reviews must be:
1. Reviews should not violate our content policy
2. Reviews should be unbiased
3. Reviews should be relevant

The content policy states "The following content is not allowed on Airbnb:
- "Listings and profiles that provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information"
- "Attempts to impersonate another person, account, or entity, including a representative of Airbnb"
and that
- "Reviews that contain no relevant information about a host or guest, listing, or experience may be removed"

@Airbnb, it seems clear to me that 3rd party reviews are
1. In violation of the 3rd party booking policy
2. In violation of the content policy as they are *not relevant to the experience of staying in the Airbnb* and *impersonating the verified guest who is not using or staying in the listing* and *provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information about who was there and their experience.
3. Are obviously biased
4. Are not relevant, as the person reviewing NEVER HAS BEEN TO THE AIRBNB
(An example of this would be like me saying that my friend had a bad experience in Ohio, so even though I have never been to Ohio, the State of Ohio is terrible)

How do I move forward with getting this review removed? Logic doesn't seem to be helping, and neither does Airbnb's own written policy
I need any advice, thanks in advance.
6 Replies 6
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Carly142 

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Have you followed up with Airbnb yet?  Please let us know how you're getting on.

If you still need help please let us know and we can give Support a nudge to get in touch.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Carly142 @Jenny   The thing is, Third party bookings are not supposed to happen and we (well certainly I have been) are constantly warned that we are not covered for damages etc. if the ‘Responsible Guest’ does not stay unless the booking was made under the ‘Booking for Work’.  Therefore both Hosts and Airbnb need to rely on the guests honesty.  In this case, Airbnb did pay out for these third party damages as if the ‘responsible guest’ stayed even though they were aware that she had not and I assume have left the review because they treated this booking as though she had.  

I Feel your pain, this same thing  happened to me , a guest booked my place and did not stay at my location. The people who stayed, did not follow any house rules, since I was a host on site, I reminded the guest of the house rules.  On the Second night I became aware that the  guest had booked the location for her aunt. The person who booked the listing wrote an review that was not the truth and hurt my rating. I also had conversations with Airbnb to remove review, it did not end well. The review stayed and I was left upset and not happy with how our support team. Reviews should be left my the guest and not some person pretending  to be the guest. This policy must change!  I have now taken matters into my own hand and ask for a photo ID, upon arrival at my location.

@Deborah325 @Kate867 

After approximately 2 weeks and *so many* hours of phone conversations I did finally get the review removed. 
Here’s my advice on how to get airbnb to enforce their own policies: 

1. Continue to ask for your case to be escalated until someone not reading from a script is willing to actually look at your case, documentation, and information. 

2. Once you get to the right person, clearly outline how you as a host have followed airbnb policy and the guest has not, and that you the host are not not only having to deal with the fallout from a bad guest but also now having to convince airbnb to follow their own written policy to protect you, the rule following host. Their policies are in place to protect both guests *and hosts* and they need to take the impact this situation is having on you, your property, your listing, and your business seriously with all fair and due consideration. (Ie. Not tell you to pound sand) 

3. Remind airbnb how bad and potentially dangerous 3rd party bookings are. Remind airbnb in the same way you should be doing everything in your power as a host to keep 3rd party bookings from happening, airbnb also has a responsibility to discourage and hold 3rd party bookings accountable. Allowing any “internal policies” to uphold, legitimize, and allow for 3rd party bookings is not only in direct contradiction of their online written policy, but also will encourage people who are already abusing the system to continue to break the 3rd party booking rule. Repeat that 3rd party bookings are potentially dangerous to both guests and hosts. Transparency about who is staying in your property is of the utmost importance to all parties involved and that you expect airbnb to take all matters (big or small) related to 3rd party bookings seriously.

4. Remind airbnb they have agreed to verify guests on the hosts behalf. (This is in compliance with their non discrimination policy- you are not able or allowed to know the details of a guest’s identity prior to a reservation) And although you will continue to be a vigilant host and uphold airbnb policy, airbnb is booking a “verified guest” to stay in your property, not you as a host. If they allow for abuse of this system, the verification policy is no longer useful or trustworthy. 

5. *Most important* say exactly this: 

“I have reviewed the [insert all policies relating to case] online. As this is all that is available to me, these are the policies I agreed to when I decided to host my property with airbnb.  I do not know what “internal policy” I am being expected to abide by, as that is not available to me.

If this “internal policy” is not available to hosts and in contrast with your publicly listed policies, you cannot expect to hold hosts accountable for secret policies they do not have access to. 

Here is what I read online on your community policies help center-

The review policy states “reviews must be:

1. Reviews should not violate our content policy
2. Reviews should be unbiased
3. Reviews should be relevant
[provide a link to their own online policy]

The content policy states "The following content is not allowed on Airbnb:
- "Listings and profiles that provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information"
- "Attempts to impersonate another person, account, or entity, including a representative of Airbnb"
and that
- "Reviews that contain no relevant information about a host or guest, listing, or experience may be removed"
[provide a link to their own online policy]

It seems clear that 3rd party reviews are
1. In violation of the 3rd party booking policy
2. In violation of the content policy as they are “not relevant to the experience of staying in the Airbnb” and “impersonating the verified guest” who is not using or staying in the listing and “provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information” about who was there and their experience.
3. In violation of the review policy as they are obviously biased
4. In violation of the review policy as they are not relevant, as the person reviewing HAS NEVER BEEN TO THE AIRBNB. 

Based on the written Airbnb policies, this review must be taken down. “ 

6. If they give you any excuse for why it’s OK to justify third-party bookings, keep repeating that you are expected to follow the policies as the host, guests are expected to follow policies as guests, and Airbnb is expected to enforce the policies as written on their website. You are not asking for anything beyond compliance with airbnb policies. Repeat step 5. If this doesn’t work, repeat step 1. 

7. Once someone agrees have the review taken down, please please please please say:
“thank you for your understanding and for upholding your policies to protect me as a host, I take your policies seriously and want to continue to have a good relationship with Airbnb and with my guests. That is why I love hosting with Airbnb.
Third-party bookings are potentially very dangerous, I know this situation was about a review, but any allowance for abuse of the 3rd party booking policy will make the Airbnb platform more dangerous to both guests and hosts. Please start a case to investigate your internal policy that allows for third-party reviews so this does not continue to happen to me or to any other hosts, or even to guests. Your internal policy is not only contradictory to your online policy, but it puts hosts in jeopardy and legitimizes third-party bookings in general.” 

Hi Carly !
Thank you very much for sharing such a valuable experience.
I'm now trying to dispute the 3 star review that a guest who made a reservation left me (however he only made the reservation for others,  he was not at my place).
In first instance, Airbnb removed the review because it was against their policies, however after 30 minutes they decided to put it again. 
This is such a stressful situation. I hope you could please guide me ! Thank you very much

Hi @Carly142 

I'm so glad you were persistent and got the review removed. I do see under your additional Rules that you do not allow 3rd party bookings. You might be able to get a review removed on the basis the guest broke your House Rules in the future. However, as you point out, the review should have been removed anyway, as the guest who booked it did not stay at your place.