5-Star Airbnb Not 5 Stars - How to Review?

Answered!
Karen457
Level 3
Port Townsend, WA

5-Star Airbnb Not 5 Stars - How to Review?

I'm not sure if this is appropriate here as I am a guest, but would appreciate the opinions of hosts. I've been using Airbnb for 7+ years with around 50 stays. Currently I'm staying in a place that's rated 5 stars,  but IMHO, it is definitely not a 5-star rental. That said, there are only 20 reviews. I hate leaving poor reviews for multiple reasons and would hate to be the first at this one, ruining the rating so I'd like to find out if I'm being too picky simply because I do have so many to compare this place to. I should also note that I have stayed in this location before and my previous stay was definitely 5 stars, and around $30+ per night less. It was already booked or I would have booked it again. 

Here are the issues (nothing horrendous that would make me want to leave, all generally 'little' things that make it not very comfortable):

1. The day before check in I was told that during the summer the road the place is located on is often under construction and there may be no place to parkm listing says free parking on the premises. I had to park a 5+ minute walk away, not a big deal for me but it could be for someone else. The host/owner didn't suggest an alternative. 

2. There are no room darkening shades, in Alaska, this is really a necessity and the sun blasts through the window located right next to the bed. 

3. The owners are upstairs and walk very loudly, until 11 or 12, and then someone is up around 5 doing the same. (between the brightness of the room and noise it's really hard to get enough sleep)

4. Furniture is old and looks like it came from a thrift store. The table for dining is what looks like an old work desk, with metal patio chairs for seating (no cushions). There are no closets, no dresser or anything to hang or put clothes away in.

5. There were 2 very thin towels provided for an 8 day stay.

6. Communication from host/owner hasn't been great, had to message to get the code to get in, it wasn't sent as promised a few days or more ahead of my stay and no message to see how things were going several days in. (that's really minor but most hosts do this and combined with the rest just makes for an overall not really welcoming experience)

There are positives, it is a good location and there is a beautiful view. (that said, the other Airbnb I stayed at also had this and was perfect in every way with a lower rate). 

I think a lot of this could easily be fixed, maybe the hosts just don't know? Perhaps it's better to leave a private note than a poor review as I really don't want to be the one to do it and I also think other hosts might take that into consideration, although I've only left a couple of than stellar reviews in the past, generally based on more serious issues. Of course at the same time, that's not really fair to guests considering the place.

Thoughts? Am I too picky with some of this or are they reasonable concerns? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 Best Answer

In reality it's 2 "less than expected," I hate to give a less than perfect rating and I think the 5 "better than expected" is not a good rating system for Airbnb to use. But in this case, split the difference and give them a 4. Then privately tell them the concerns you have. In the public review you can warn people politely that "bring a sleep mask and ear plugs. There are no light darkening options in the room at this time and there is potential for noise."  But remember to start with saying something nice (beautiful view, etc.) before you add the last part.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Karen457
Level 3
Port Townsend, WA

Thank you!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Karen457  

1) The host should have given you more advance warning than 1 day, if what they say, that this is common is correct, but a 5 minute walk is still really close.

2) I don't think black out shades are standard, so if this was important you probably should have asked about it.

3) We have in our listing that guests may hear footsteps/walking on the stairs, you might suggest this to the hosts in a private message.

4) If the furniture is as pictured then I would say its not really an issue, unless you think the photos are misleading.  Lack of storage is unfortunate, but if this is clear from the listing then it might be your resp. to ensure there is enough storage or ask about it.

5) We give guests 2 towels for a week stay, that is I think pretty standard.

6) That is a host issue, you should get all check in info at least 1 day prior, but not all hosts do a check in message.

*If  you feel that you can't fairly rate the place 5 star you can always not leave a review and give the host your feedback privately.  This way you don't harm their business but you get your point across. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mark116,

Blackout curtains are pretty standard in Alaska, because during the summer it's daylight for about 21 hours of the day.

Karen457
Level 3
Port Townsend, WA

Thanks for that!

I agree 5 minutes isn't far to park, but I also got lucky with that, it could have been much farther, a very long stretch of road is blocked off and the listing says there is free parking on the premises. 

Generally, black out shades wouldn't be considered essential, but in Alaska where there is very little darkness at night (and in places like Iceland, for example) all Airbnbs I've stayed at have had them and all the hotels do because they're essential for sleeping in the summer. But yes, I should have double checked, it just didn't occur to me that they wouldn't. 

To me the furniture isn't a big deal, the biggest issue is the difficulty sleeping really I can live with all the rest. I think a lot of it is perspective based on all my previous stays which definitely skews things a bit. I really appreciate you providing your opinion. I think all of it is probably best addressed in a private note so they can make the improvements if they wish to do so. 

In reality it's 2 "less than expected," I hate to give a less than perfect rating and I think the 5 "better than expected" is not a good rating system for Airbnb to use. But in this case, split the difference and give them a 4. Then privately tell them the concerns you have. In the public review you can warn people politely that "bring a sleep mask and ear plugs. There are no light darkening options in the room at this time and there is potential for noise."  But remember to start with saying something nice (beautiful view, etc.) before you add the last part.