$50 host cancellation fee???

Daniel1127
Level 3
Boston, MA

$50 host cancellation fee???

I cancelled the guest reservation and got a $50 cancellation fee on my future payouts. In what way or form does that affect airbnb to keep $50 dollars… that’s so shady business from their part. Are they going to give it to the guest? Or keep it? For what purpose?

The guest booked and I caught an issue on my calendar so I canceled his reservation and I was polite enough to ask him to cancel it and he agreed. So why did I got charged? 🤕

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daniel1127  You are saying two contradictory things. "The guest booked and I caught an issue on my calendar so I canceled his reservation and I was polite enough to ask him to cancel it and he agreed."

What do you mean you were kind enough to ask him to cancel it? Did the guest cancel or did you? It appears that you cancelled- just because the guest didn't make a fuss over it doesn't mean it doesn't count as a host cancellation.  If your calendar isn't up to date, that is your responsibility as a host, not the guest's issue. It isn't kind at all to cancel a reservation. 

Hosts recieve penalties for cancelling bookings. Exactly to discourage hosts from doing so.  A fine is one of the penalties (Airbnb keeps that money, it doesn't go to the guest) Your calendar will also be permanently blocked for the dates you cancelled, so you can't rebook them, and a message will be put in your review page saying "Host cancelled this booking XX days before arrival", which can make future guests reluctant to book with you.

You really should inform yourself of Airbnb policies, so you aren't taken by surprise. For someone who has 333 reviews, I'm astounded you were unaware of the cancellation penalties.

I contacted our guest 22 days before her reservation and informed her of a sudden family issue involving news from my sister.  I said I would not be able to host her stay, but I was trying to set up a co-host with someone to come here and stay.  She was totally understanding and said don't worry about it and that she was planning on more trips back and forth.  Before I cancelled, I asked if she had other options and she said yes.  And, that she would definetly connect with me in the future.   Everything was fine until I got penalized $50 for cancelling a reservation.  That is not fair to me and I am quite up set with this.