8 wasted superhost $100 travel vouchers. Why can't superhosts bank them?!

Answered!
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

8 wasted superhost $100 travel vouchers. Why can't superhosts bank them?!

I have been a superhost for 8 quarters. Each time I have been awarded a $100 travel voucher to use on airbnb when I travel. I very rarely travel so every single one of my $100 vouchers have expired, unused. 

I really think this is wrong. Airbnb should allow superhosts to bank these $100 vouchers indefintaley. How would that hurt them to let me keep my superhost reward from quarter to quarter until I am ready to travel? 

$100 is maybe 1 night. Why can't I bank 8 vouchers and have a week long vacation stay? I earned them. They're mine. Right?

1 Best Answer
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Donald28

I told Airbnb to get stuffed with their money generating voucher for themselfs and get the Airbnb system basic's right like a proper deposit for example.

Airbnb are only making fools of us hosts with this crap.

View Best Answer in original post

28 Replies 28
Candee0
Level 8
Oceanside, CA

I agree with Donald. I just received another superhost $100 coupon for January 2019. It expires October 2019.

But I had one from the previous quarter that I have not used that also expires in October 2019! I have not used it yet so thought that I would have two and since I am getting ready to go on several trips was planning on using 2! Wrong, they both have the same coupon code!! I thought you had a year to use it.

I have to say, I am very disapointed.

Candee

@Candee0  You get one a year for maintaining Superhost for that year (not the calendar year, but the year you first received Superhost). You do have a year to use it. Count back and I think you'll find that it was originally issued for the quarter ending Oct.2018. The mention of it in January was referring to the one you already had and haven't used.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

I believe the vouchers are not redeemable for experiences. Fixing that is a good solution. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I also rarely get the opportunity to travel (except for work and I am not arranging that accommodation), so I intend to use mine on a photo session.

Having Airbnb professional photography really boosted my bookings and, as I am always updating the property, it's great to be able to get updated photos. I would be very happy to have a photo session once a year, if that is an option.

Otherwise, I would use the travel voucher to stay somewhere not too far away, just for research. Perhaps it woud give me some insight or ideas on how to improve my listing/hosting.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Donald28

I told Airbnb to get stuffed with their money generating voucher for themselfs and get the Airbnb system basic's right like a proper deposit for example.

Airbnb are only making fools of us hosts with this crap.

I think you guys are right about $100 voucher per year. I misjudged the amount that I have rec'd. The last time I tried the "professional" photographer that airbnb recommended in my atlanta area I was woefully underhwlemed. In all of HUGE ATLANTA GA they can only find one guy? And he's terrible and has cheap equipment! His lighting was a small led, handheld flashlight. I kid u not!

I paid out of pocket. Had I known I could use the voucher, I'd have used it and the crappy pics wouldn't have seemed so bad maybe?

The guy took horrible, uninspired pictures. They were so bad I deleted them from my listing and put my cell phone pics back up. I demanded and finally got a refund. 

@Donald28  Altho I've seen some hosts reports that they were very pleased with the professional photography, I've seen many whose experience mirrored yours. Either the actual photography was awful, or the photographer acted unprofessionally, calling to cancel the session at the last minute, after the host had spent an entire day staging the place, etc.

One might wonder how these photographers are chosen. I suspect they are friends, friend of friends, or family of Airbnb higher-up employees.

Out of curiousity I just went to look for my coupon. Good grief they don't make it easy to find. Mine expires in July. Would be nice if they all came with an expiration date that is easy to remember (like December 31 of each year or such). Guess I'll have to plan a trip.

My husband suggested we just take a screen shot and add/or add it to our Notes section of the phone or the Apple Wallet to keep track.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I've never received a travel voucher.

None-the-less I am so happy to pay for all the well-priced travel opportunites Airbnb provides to me.

Last year, I went to Oakland, San Diego, Florida, Belize, Shanghai, Seoul, Beijing, Hong Kong and Phuket.

Each time I got great Airbnbs that matched my needs, were much more comfortable than a hotel and much more affordable. I also left a tip at every place I stayed.

I'm living like a King, but with a pauper's budget.

Take that $100 voucher, drive across the state line and treat yourself to a week-end away. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Donald28

We have always been able to use ours and in fact it encouraged us to go to places we wouldn't have thought about otherwise. While it would be nice to keep them 'forever' it rarely happens with reward points or tiers etc that they don't have an expiry date, etc. A lot gift vouchers are the same - but I know in the UK the government is looking at regulations to ensure they have a longer life span

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I used my $100 voucher to spend one night at an Airbnb less than 1 hour away from me. It was a great opportunity to see how other hosts work and communicate and it give another host some business during the offseason. I don't see the $100 voucher as a coupon to use on my next vacation but as a way to learn something new when I have one night to spare.

Karen466
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I just received the $100 travel voucher in January, and it says it expires in March 2019.  I thought it was good for a year? I have no plans or ability to travel between now and March.  Do you think I can get the expiration extended? I'm travelling in May...

@Karen466 I think if you look back, you'll find that was originally issued in March 2018- is that when you first got Superhost status? They mention it again each quarter, but that doesn't mean you got a new one each quarter, it's the same one you got in March 2018, I believe. And no, I'm quite sure you can't extend it.

Martha56
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

It’s a terrible website, as we all know. Not user friendly. When I booked as a guest it was so difficult to find my Superhost coupon that I let it go in order to secure my lodging. Then I immediately called Airbnb and they told me I couldn’t use it because I’d already booked! I too have had other coupons expire. A two year limit on the expiration date  would be reasonable.