90 night limit in London

Adam-and-Krishna0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

90 night limit in London

Hi Airbnb community! 

We’re relatively new to Airbnb and have recently become aware of the 90 night limit in London, U.K.

We are keen to apply to the local council for the relevant planning permissions but aren’t sure where to start.

We would really appreciate advice from anyone who has achieved this permission and can host for over 90 nights in London.

Best regards,

Adam and Krishna

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Adam-and-Krishna0 The best person to comment is @Gordon0 . If I remember rightly the chance of getting approved beyond 90 days is close to zero

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm afraid, @Adam-and-Krishna0, @Mike-And-Jane0 sum it up pretty well, in fact you'll probably get better odds on seeing a rainbow unicorn in Tesco, being ridden by Elvis.

London councils are vehemently against STRs of this sort (housing crisis, yada yada) and have made it nigh on impossible to jump though the many hoops to gain Change of Use permission (which is what it is). It'll start with the horror that is trying to get through to somebody in the planning dept (if your council actually answer their phones..."due to Covid") who knows what you're talking about, less so what they need to do to start the machine whirring.

I've had friends who've thought they've made some progress, only to throw in the towel because of the treacle-like bureaucracy. Oh, and of course, your neighbours are going to get a say in it too after being given the question loaded in such a way that they'd be bonkers to let it pass.

Of course, there's alway the exception (and, dare I say it, the helpful planning dept employee), and you may just be able to pull this particular ultra-white rabbit from the hat.

If you do get permission, remember to buy a lottery ticket that day. 

In all seriousness, good luck - and please do come back and tell us (hopefully good) news of your endeavours.