A Hosting Review

David242
Level 2
Jordan, NY

A Hosting Review

Greetings folks!

While my wife and I have been using airbnb for quite sometime, and in our 3rd year of hosting, this is my first post here - so please bear with me if I'm asking this question in the wrong place or whatever....

I was recently surprised to find our hosting rating had dropped from it's usual rating so went back to look at reviews to try to figure it out.

Last fall we had a couple stay here - and our listing was their first ever AirBnb experience. 

We enjoyed hosting them and they had a great visit and said so in a glowing written review.

The problem is, it seems they didn't understand the star rating system and hit 1 star, assuming, I guess, that that was the best...

I have copied the written review and pasted it below my name here in this conversation.

So, the question is, is there anything to be done "after the fact" about this mistake that has caused our rating to drop?

Thanks for any thoughts offered!

David

This was our first Air B&B stay. We were looking for an overnight by water, ~ an hour away from home - and really enjoyed our time there. We spent a beautiful afternoon relaxing by the lake, enjoyed a campfire lakeside at night, and had a clean and comfortable room. David and Lori were very gracious and thoughtful hosts. Their home is filled with interesting things that they have collected and share stories about. It was a great get away !

What Nancy loved about your listing:
The peaceful area and lovely lake front.

Accuracy feedback:
The pictures were very up to date.

Cleanliness feedback:
Everything was very clean.

Checkin feedback:
We appreciated David's welcome. He stopped what he was doing to show us the house and give explanations.

Amenities feedback:
Can't think of anything. Everything was as described.

Communication feedback:
Communication was excellent and prompt via texts and email.

Location feedback:
The location was lovely. Neighborhood quiet and safe. Nice spot for a get away.

Value feedback:
Excellent value!

October 2016

5 Replies 5

@David242:
Airbnb's policy is that they do not change/remove reviews unless there is something slanderous (even then hosts have difficulty getting removals). Through the years numerous hosts have had situations like yours and posted about it on this forum and I can't recall any that Airbnb updated even when the guest co-requested the change. I doubt seriously that Airbnb will even go back nearly 8 months and review it anyway.

If you want to try to get a change then you will need to call Airbnb and ask. Here's the contact information:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/h...

Hopefully I am wrong. Good luck.

@David242 @Tim-and-Holly0 I thought they'd never change stars (which I have been told numerous times by case managers) until they actually changed mine after a guest made a mistake (I still did not hear another one of these corrections from anyone else). 

They only change the overall one, they cannot change the details such as cleanliness or value. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@David242 Contact Airbnb immediately on the following phone number and tell them about this situation with that guest but contact the guest before so that to make sure that this was a mistake ask them if they can contact Airbnb too and explain the situation. Tel: United States (USA): +1-415-800-5959 (local SF number) or +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free). Mistake is part of life and i am sure Airbnb will understand and fix your rating problem. Good luck!!!

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

At this point in time it appears that you have had a very modest amount of experience as an Airbnb host, even though you have made hundreds of comments in the forums. 

I would really like to caution hosts from believing everything they read from an experienced forum contributer, this is entirely different from being an experienced and knowledgeable Airbnb host.  For example many hosts manage for years without being very well informed about the terms and conditions and hosting rules and responsibilities as well as having a poor or limited understanding of how the review system works. But they may get by without problems, for sure that happens, but a reader would want to be sure that any advice comes from individuals who actually understand the nuts and bolts of hosting at a contractual level, as well as the capacity to consider the bigger picture regarding running an international community based hosting service. At this point the quality of advice is variable across the forums, maybe we need a star rating on posts...... #:o

As pointed out by others, Airbnb is not likely to respond to this particular concern by changing it. The more likely response is to continue to try and educate hosts and guests about how the review system works.

In the past, the stars points remained discreet and it was not possible to view what guests or hosts chose to score one another. One functional aspect of this is that guests who were too shy to be frank, may say something polite and pleasing to their host, but discreetly choose their [different] stars, then again sometimes people get the score upside down.

IMO Advising a host to go direct to Airbnb is not the best option. While this sort of event is currently upsetting to the host, an Airbnb intervention at the request of the Host makes little sense at a community level. The guest review should be changed up at the request of the guest. For Airbnb this event is "water under the bridge" too far in the past. If they were going to act, it would be at the request of the guest. They won't as they would be flooded with more similar requests once it was widely known and permissable to review reviews. Also by taking such intervention Airbnb would set in place a system that would lead to hosts presurring guests to rewrite reviews. It would be unwise of them.

If a host was going to contact anyone, it would be more functional for them to use their existing email thread to re-contact the guest and check that they understand how the star rating works. Perhaps you can discreetly ask " if the single star was your original intention,  it indicates that you perhaps were not satisfied with your experience?".

Take comfort in teaching guests how the review system really works and everyone eventually wins. They may even return one day and write you a fresh accurate review.

Education of hosts and guests is critical for an optimal community experience and misinformation on these forums needs to be challenged every now and again.

@David242, Take some small consolation in the knowledge that the review period will continue to roll forward, and eventually your host status will be regraded to reflect your most recent year of hosting. It's a disappointment for you at this point, that's for sure, but I hope my posting is of assistance to yourself and others.

Please continue to read the FAQ's via the help Centre icon on your website. This will give you concrete up to date information on a huge range of contractual matters and your website management, including the correct way to use your hosting tools.

We can all run to Airbnb over every issue, but ultimately we will drive up the cost of hosting if we don't optimise our our skills as hosts, and that includes taking responsibility for the ongoing education of our guests.

Hosts have more ability than they realise.

It's usually just a question of adopting a different mindset then becoming proactive about managing your business. A big part of that is risk management.

Once you change your minset, you can see problems as a learning tool, and move forward.

And for heaven's sake be careful about whose advice you follow.

Best regards to all.

Christine.

@Christine1 You are not enough qualified to judge me. My advice to the guest is genuine and more helpful than you think. If you will read what David said you will understand that this was a mistake done by his guests and he wants to get this mistake fixed so if you have a better solution than calling Airbnb please tell David he will be very happy to hear it.