A booking for two is not necessarily a couple.

Answered!
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

A booking for two is not necessarily a couple.

Hi Folks

Instant booking issue, I've been caught out twice on this problem when is a booking for two a couple who will share a bed and two people who won't, there is no way of telling one from the other, apart from asking which could be regarded as an invasive question.

Any clues how I should proceed,

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

1 Best Answer

Errr! Jeff'

We advertise a twin bed plus a single - where we are wishing to accommodate kids.

Mostly the bookings are taken by people who wish to sleep together, but sometimes... On occasion we have had an elderly brother and younger sister wanting to sleep apart.

This morning we had an enquiry about whether we took gay couples.

It would be so easy for Airbnb to ask the sleeping wishes of the client on the web page (sleep seperately or together?) or (1 or 2 beds).

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If need be, I  ask what beds they will prefer, which then 'answers' the question what the guest's association is.

It's not just couples who share beds. I've actually had more pairs of friends or relatives sharing the bed in my guestroom than couples. If you're offering multiple beds in the same listing, it's best just to ask how many the guests would like to be prepared than to ask personal questions about their relationship.
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Likewise, We just described the sleeping possibilities in the Thank You For Booking message. If you write something like *The big bed in the master bedroom is prepared for you. The second bedroom / the living room couch can be prepared, if you wish that*, they usually let you know in the answer.  

Jeff89
Level 7
Sydney, Australia

Hi Cormac,

In the listing if you state there is only 1 bed I woud have thought it was self evident.  In your listing, also state its suitable for a sinlge person or a couple. 

Jeff

Errr! Jeff'

We advertise a twin bed plus a single - where we are wishing to accommodate kids.

Mostly the bookings are taken by people who wish to sleep together, but sometimes... On occasion we have had an elderly brother and younger sister wanting to sleep apart.

This morning we had an enquiry about whether we took gay couples.

It would be so easy for Airbnb to ask the sleeping wishes of the client on the web page (sleep seperately or together?) or (1 or 2 beds).

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Cormac0,

Thanks for starting this conversation. So, that it is easier to carry on the discussion, I have moved it out of Host Voice to the Help section. I hope this is fine with you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Cormac0

If the guests do not volounteer information in their introductory message, I feel you would be in your full right to ask about sleeping arrangements.  

At least that is my personal experience with my 2 bedroom/two single and one double bed.  I have had all sorts of combinations like group of friends, two friends travelling together of same or opposite gender, mother and son, mother and daughter, elderly couples preferring a bedroom each etc.  

I even had two male friends requesting a bedroom each, but only used the double, so probably more than just friends 🙂

In Scandinavia it is common to use single duvets even on the double beds, one for each person, so this keeps any arrangement flexible and easy to switch.  The only extra linen needed for using both bedrooms would be one single fitted sheet.  

"In Scandinavia it is common to use single duvets even on the double beds, one for each person, so this keeps any arrangement flexible and easy to switch.  The only extra linen needed for using both bedrooms would be one single fitted sheet."

Here we have a double duvet, so we need to wash the duvet outer plus the fitted sheet, plus pillows. Quite a lot extra. Irrespectively, we would like a way to charge for this upfront in instant-book.