A change of heart; guest

A change of heart; guest

My most recent guest had one review that was not great.  I have instant booking turned on and have never cancelled a request or booking since beginning to host in June of '17.

What could have turned out to be a 3 night making no money turned out to be one of open communication, sharing of a meal, laughter, understanding and great company. Getting to know our guest helped to reshape his idea of how wonderful airbnb can be, and is, rather than having to be "marked" as a "bad guest" from one review as a first time guest.

As a 5 star rated superhost who works very hard to ensure each and every guest is treated fairly from the moment they see my pictures, and decide to book, regardless if they are new to airbnb, have no reviews or very few, I give them the benefit of the doubt....always remembering that we all, as a host and as a guest,  have good days and bad, that humans are kind, can have a change of heart and deserve second chances.

We spend so many hours bashing airbnb's rules or ratings and/or algorithms, the reviews guests are given to be "the only factor for letting them be a part of your home"...."I call BS" (keeping with the times, that comment was to honor the Parkland HS students)

For the Host that actually had "first dibs" to have my guest stay three nights and declined because they said, "we read your {one} review and we just can't have you here" I reply with what a shame because you missed out on being able to help this guest understand what airbnb is and can be.....Changed attidudes, Changed minds. 

My guest came thinking my place was going to be the last time he'd ever stay with a host again to looking forward to his next stay at another fantastic, hard working, dedicated airbnb host family's home!

11 Replies 11

@Carol-and-Bernie0 what a wonderful story and thank you for sharing with us!

I find it inspiring to see the original spirit of AirBnB is still alive and well in some hearts.

@Matthew285 Thanks for the positive feedback! As I continue hosting and meeting people from all over the world, I know I’m becoming a better person because of this! I know guests deserve second chances, along with hosts too, and that we all can be kind and find the best in people even when they, as a guest or a Host has had a “bad day”.

It's how I began a year ago, and continue to this day! I don't plan on changing A THING!  Thanks for reading my post!

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Did the guest really stay for 9 days, extend his stay and then complain after the fact to Airbnb and receive a full refund?  'Cause if so, I have no sympathy and wouldn't WANT to get to know him.  That's theft of services plain and simple.

As a first time guest for his nine day stay he knew walking in to the home, or at least what he told me, that something was “off” when he saw filth on the floor....but not enough to feel confident to say anything to the host, along with finding socks under the bed a day or so later...these two points he did mention to us. He said that there was no direct contact with the host but rather his young son. I know as a first time guest I too let “little” things go because I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or maybe have the guest kick me out. 

Everyone has their own hosting techniques. I know we took a chance with this guest and as it turned out there was no “theft of services” from him renting from me and only a complete change of heart. That is what I guess my whole point was...that people can change, and can see the goodness that Airbnb is! Not that any host needs to necessarily accept all first timers, or one review that conveys a possible “theft of services” or “crappy guest”. 

I appreciate your feedback! 

Hmmm. Have no idea why my response ended up under my husbands account! Bernard is also the originator of this conversation! Sorry about that! Carol

Allyson17
Level 3
Syracuse, NY

I take issue with guests lying in their reviews and having no recourse and I fear say ing less than favorable things in case of resolution. Recently I've had guests wear snowy salty boots in my home and blocking me in my driveway when I was on semi-final I'm an RN. What can I do potential guests just see the kids in the review???

Allyson17
Level 3
Syracuse, NY

In case of retaliation

Allyson17
Level 3
Syracuse, NY

On call

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Carol-and-Bernie0 Love reading this! I enjoy taking first time guests of Airbnb - Often they join Airbnb specifically so they can rent my beach cottage. I like knowing that I helped educate them about the community and also that they will go on to rent other Airbnb's based on their experiences at my property during their stay. I have also had people request to book when they had a not-so-great review. Unless it appears their behavior was intentionally negligent, ill-willed, or eggregious, I also am happy to give them another chance, but I do like to speak with them about it first, usually by phone.

@Rebecca181 I appreciate you’re honesty and feedback! We both seem to work the same way as hosts. Having given my guest that second chance even with a “negative” first review had him leave MY home with a change of heart willing to go out and “guest” again. How wonderful is that, right? 🙂