A family in Chile has got nothing to eat

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

A family in Chile has got nothing to eat

2020-10-06 Monika Chile pic people only 854px wide.jpg

In another thread a rather sad story has been developing over the past couple of days. This is a long story, I'm cutting it down as good as I can.

Monika in Chile is renting 3 places through airbnb in Chile but she doesn't get paid by airbnb. She started reporting about her problem on sept. 19, adressing  @Catherine-Powell  , to no avail.

Due to COVID she had to close her places on march 20 and reopened mid of august. Monika did get paid from airbnb untill the end of August, but ever since no payment. Monika says she and her husband have lost their jobs due to COVID, couldn't rent the flats and now she's not reveiving money for the completed stays.

Monika has listet a breakdown of outstanding payments for 19 stays, totalling apprx 2400 USD.

Monika has been calling and writing with airbnb every day but nothing. Unfortenately Monika's financial situation has gotten very difficult so in september she had to ask friends to lend her money to pay her bills. „We have two little kids - we can not sleep at night, worried about how to pay bills and buy food when you keep all payouts for 5 weeks“.

Meanwhile as it looks Monika has maxed out all financial resources:

• „Yesterday we were considering for me to go back to London (Monika lived there for 17 years) to find any job as here will be impossible now. We used the credit card limit and now we have nothing left. …. My 9-year-old girl heard this conversation and cried asking me not to go to London and leave them.

It breaks my heart. Once while talking to airbnb , my girl took the phone and asked them, please pay my mum money“

• „Electricity bills, communal charges bills, internet bills etc etc . why, what we have done, please Airbnb pay us all money, we have nothing now, please“

2 days ago Monika received 72,000 CLS = apprx. 90 USD from airbnb. „At least I could buy some food today“ Monika wrote. But the remaining 2400 USD+ remain unpayed.

As I said this is a pretty long story, for details pls start reading here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Customer-service-updates-payments-and-more-in-the...

and continue to read there:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Customer-service-updates-payments-and-more-in-the...

The conversation starts on page 10 and continous to page 11.

This is Monika's airbnb profile Picture: Monika , Domingo, Kyara and Maia

2020-10-06 Monika Chile pic with landscape.jpg

-----------------

I've been getting real emotional over this story. Obviousely I cannot contribute anything to all these payment details, but I have decided to send 100 Euros = 120 USD to Monika in Chile so she can buy more food for her family. In order to do so, today I have set up a Western Union account for international cash payments.

What I'd like to find out is:

• How hard is it to send Money to Chile in the 21st century?

150 Replies 150

Did you get to read the full article, @Sharon1014? Puff-piece extraordinaire. If I'm not very much mistaken (and I'm pretty sure I'm not), that's the blueprint for the IPO prospectus narrative right there

Penelope
Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

@Super47   Nah, don't have a subscription for WSJ.  Guess we will see in due course.  Unless you care to enlighten us with a synopsis of the fairytale.

@Sharon1014 

Well here's a few snippets for you, that are pretty representative of the breathless tone and disingenuous content of the entire piece. Whitewash doesn't begin to describe it. All hail the conquering, compassionate, cookie-baking hero.. 

While business this year will be nowhere close to pre-pandemic levels, and the future of travel is uncertain, some of Mr. Chesky’s critics and observers said he won them over with quick thinking and bold moves. “What impressed me was how quickly he did it,” said Michael Seibel , the chief executive of Y Combinator, the Silicon Valley accelerator. 

The pandemic has reinvented travel, possibly in lasting ways, as many businesses make remote work a permanent fixture. While some people will move to the suburbs, Mr. Chesky said, others will become globe-trotting nomads. Even those that return to work will have more flexibility, leaving room to travel locally. 

The post-pandemic Airbnb looks a lot more like the company Mr. Chesky and his two co-founders started in their San Francisco apartment more than 10 years ago.

Mr. Chesky said the pandemic forced him to go “back to our roots.” He refocused on home rentals and scaled back efforts to become a broader travel behemoth. 

“This is going to be bigger than 9/11 and 2008 combined,” board member and former American Express Co. Chief Executive Kenneth Chenault remembers saying. “This is your defining moment as a leader,” he said to Mr. Chesky.

On May 5, Mr Chesky choked back tears and announced on a videoconference his plan to lay off 1,900 employees. He also scaled back ambitious moves to list traditional hotels and luxury properties and paused diversifying into newer areas such as transportation and media.

The cuts were a dramatic pullback from Mr. Chesky’s ambitions. He had previously told investors, advisers and employees in all-hands meetings that as long as he hired the smartest people, nothing would stop the company’s growth. That mentality worried investors, who watched Mr. Chesky spend heavily to recruit talent.

Mr. Chesky himself was spending more of his time focused on newer bets, including Experiences, which lets people book activities like mountaintop yoga, wine tastings and pottery classes. He had been describing the company as one with big, broad ambitions—using phrases such as the “magical world of Airbnb” that had an “infinite time horizon.”

Last year, the company bought the hotel-booking site Hotel Tonight as it sought to generate revenue growth by adding hotels to its mix. It hired an airline veteran to be its global head of transportation. It also released a feature film about a gay men’s chorus and had plans for more.

The pandemic upended those efforts.

Mr. Chesky turned his attention back to Airbnb’s main business. He said he would keep his focus there even after things return to normal.

Mr. Chesky told investors and advisers he never wants to be forced to cut staff in a dramatic way again. To avoid that, he said he has no immediate plans to boost the company’s marketing budget and will keep other expenses low, according to people familiar with these discussions. “He’s off that drug,” said an investor.

Laid-off employees were allowed to keep company-issued Apple laptops and received a year of health insurance. Airbnb posted an online talent directory of departing employees so companies looking to hire could tap them, and separately said its recruiters would assist in finding them jobs. Half a dozen former and current employees said in interviews they felt newfound respect for Mr. Chesky because of the way he handled the layoffs.

The CEO increased communication with existing employees, switching to weekly Q&As from monthly. He also sought to make amends with hosts angered by his refund policy at the height of the pandemic shutdown by allocating funds from the money he raised to reimburse them for a third of canceled stays.

Earlier in the crisis, he had stepped in to refund guests for cancellations with funds meant for property owners, who then blamed him for emptying their coffers overnight. Mr. Chesky had regretted not outlining some relief to hosts in conjunction with his offer to guests, according to a person he frequently consulted.

Then, this summer, the stars began to align in Mr. Chesky’s favor. Families, students and friends were turning to Airbnbs as quarantine lodging. And, as local governments eased restrictions around the world, people in big cities ventured into neighboring towns and cities, where big-chain hotels don’t have a footprint.

The rebound has been better than the best-case scenario that bankers had pitched investors months ago, when they forecast business would start to pick up in the last three months of the year.

Mr. Chesky said he spent most of the past several months working 16-hour-shifts, largely glued to his iMac. When he is on the phone, he paces up and down his makeshift office—a 20-by-20-foot attic on the top floor of his home in San Francisco’s trendy Mission neighborhood. At times, he spoke with his board while sitting on a bench in nearby Dolores Park.

Mr. Chesky’s mom, who was in the city before the lockdown, moved in. He hadn’t lived with her since high school, more than two decades ago. He purchased his first bicycle, frequently riding it around the park, and sought refuge in baking chocolate-chip cookies.

With business recovering, Mr. Chesky wanted to send a strong signal to investors and boost morale among employees, some of whom were anxious about their stock options expiring at the end of the year, according to the person Mr. Chesky has frequently consulted. 

Penelope

🤢

Lol! Parallel universe stuff that, eh @Sarah977? 🙄🌌😉🎠🚀

Penelope

Did he eat all those chocolate chip cookies himself? I'm surprised that hosts weren't all sent packages of "Kindness Cookies" to cheer them up when Airbnb cancelled all their reservations.

@Super47

Sharon1014
Level 10

Well that was the motherlode of fantasy land imaginings from a wooden boy mesmerized by the Disney hype huh? @Super47   Explains a lot.

He was "forced" to go back to the company's roots.  He never intended to go there by choice, but only out of financial necessity because the bankers were breathing down his neck. 

The enormous problem with all of this is that a leopard doesn't change their spots.  The minute that local hosts have served their IPO purpose, they will be tossed out the door so Bri Bri can continue tripping the light fantastic with his Mummy in tow.  Completely crackers and quite unstable.  Do think there is a high probability that the rest of we hosts could be hung out to dry in the blink of a eye, and not paid for the work we do either, just like Monika.

Educated guess, the company will have it's public float, the bankers will cash in and cash out simultaneously, never to be seen again (they are not idiots).  The IPO stock price will plummet in following months, hosts large and small will abandon the platform and Brian will be forced out in order to save whatever is left.  At which point, there will be some major change and/or a salvage operation involving the liquidators.

Dear Penelope ,

you showed us how real evil works between us. NOTHING good can be built on tears, sweat, destruction of other human lives !!!! N  O  T  H  I  N  G 

@Sarah977 @Super47 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sharon1014 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Colleen253 @Heidi588 @Cormac0 @Helen3 @Mary419 @Alex893 @Inna22 @Emilia42 @Emiel1 @Paul1255@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Penelope,

Just wondering, did you ever consider to do doctorate based on Airbnb research? - I mean seriously - this company is a perfect example of total destruction and nativity of those who are already brainwashed believing in " globalisation goodies "

Monika

I'd need to do a degree first, @Monika-And-Domingo0😉

Penelope

@Super47 

In my First world existence @Super47  that seems like Third world slavery - or the financial equivalent, whatever that might be... Oh, this...

Has the Airbnb 'community' (not the CC community, as it seems here we are being supportive and compassionate) now become the beast which preys on the weakest? Those lesser Chilian's without the education of @Monika-And-Domingo0  might well be suffering the same plight out of sight of the world's view. I hope that this is not the case but the treatment of @Monika-And-Domingo0  does not inspire confidence.

The whole point of Terms and Conditions and Policies is that they apply to everybody. Every host has a right to be paid and withholding payment - for farcical reasons is just criminal and tortious.

Discrimination in this manner needs to be reported to the Airbnb Lighthouse project. Shine a light !

Sharon1014
Level 10

This vid clip posted by Penelope in another thread, really spells out the way in which this Ponzi scheme is currently run, at the expense of hosts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkyqU6YVcEQ&feature=youtu.be

Funny how Airbnb is busy creating a world where "everyone belongs".  Except hosts.  We don't belong, we don't have the same rights as others, we're not even second class citizens.  We're just non-citizens (according to Airbnb's ToS,) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIrFlISFC1w&t=1450s  to be exploited wherever possible.

Really grubby stuff. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Monika-And-Domingo0,

The good news is I received word that the rest of your payments are on there way to you. Obviously, I won't be happy until they reach you, but wanted to keep you updated. If you can, do let me know how this goes. 

Thank you, speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

@Monika-And-Domingo0's final missing payouts (apart from one small amount of around $90) had already been released several hours before you posted your previous update yesterday. Monika already posted last night about how her payout details had been edited on the site - not by either her or Domingo, so clearly internally - just prior to her receiving confirmation of the payouts. Some very strange and unorthodox goings on with the Airbnb Payments systems, for sure. 

Penelope
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the update @Super47. Yes, you may have seen my reply to Monika's post the night before, confirming that the changes she was seeing are due to the team working on getting the rest of the payments released. My message last night was just me wanting to double confirm that all has reached her account now. 🙂

@Monika-And-Domingo0, I'm so glad to hear that the money has arrived with you. Once again, I am extremely sorry that it took so long to get to the bottom of the issue and why the payment was returned to Airbnb. Just to check, is the $90 past of the previous missing payments? If you could let me know the date of the check-in for that, I will check all is good with this one too and it's on it's way to you. I want to make sure that we get everything sorted. 

Thank you and speak to you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.