A mouse bit my guest! What should I do?

Jeanne52
Level 2
Longmont, CO

A mouse bit my guest! What should I do?

My guest said she was sleeping and felt something in her hair. She brushed it away and a mouse bit her!! Eeeek!! The minute I heard about it, I came downstairs and gave her another room that we have upstairs. I helped her get her things upstairs. She got herself settled, and called an Ask a Nurse line, who told her she should go to the hospital and get the bite checked out, even though it is a very tiny bite on her middle finger. It was a small mouse. I set my cat in the suite where the mouse was, but she has caught nothing yet. I immediately ran out to Walmart and set 7 traps. It is past midnight, and I am calling an exterminator 1st thing in the morning.

But what do I do if word about this gets out to my review from her? I could be in real trouble, even though I have immediately taken the steps above to correct the problem. Who would want to stay in a house where a guest got bit by a mouse? Help!!!

3 Replies 3
Marie405
Level 10
Taguig, Philippines

Hi @Jeanne52, that was unfortunate. I think first of all focus on your guest and make sure she's okay.  With regards to her upcoming review, there's a high chance she might write it down.  If you took care of her and the situation she might write that too so that should balance it out.  But if not, just reply somewhere along the line of - I am sorry that this happened but we made sure that the guest was medically attended and steps were taken immediately to make sure it won't happen again.

She was nice enough to say that she wouldn't say anything about the mouse in her review. She said, "No, I'm not that kind of person. It would kill your Airbnb business".  Phew!  She did, however, give us a 2 in the Cleanliness rating. This was understandable, really. She had to get it out somehow. She mentioned something in her review about an "incident", but, true to her word, she did not say anything specific. I am very thankful for that. 

PS I gave her a 100% refund, and paid her $50 co-pay from the hospital that the Ask a Nurse line said she could go to. She got a tetanus shot, but nothing more than that. I put her in another room upstairs of where she was. I offered her my stuffed animals for comfort that night! I offered her breakfast, also.  I did everything I could to take care of the situation.