A new prospect wanted to visit my place before booking

Answered!
Judith630
Level 2
Hainesport, NJ

A new prospect wanted to visit my place before booking

Hi everyone a new prospect wants to visit my place before registering.  She is familiar with my area.  Is that something to consider.  I'm new to this platform. Please advice, I will appreciate it. 

1 Best Answer
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Judith630 - @Debra300 is 100% right.  Here is what Airbnb says about guests who want to see a place before booking:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/47/what-should-i-do-if-a-guest-wants-to-see-my-place-before-book...

And here's what I say lol:

Nope.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Judith630,

No, No, No!!!  For privacy and security reasons, you should never let a prospective guest visit your space before booking.  Inform the guests that it's against Airbnb policy, and that the photos of your space are current (be sure they are).  If the guest is unwilling to abide by this rule, they are likely to break other rules during their stay.

@Ann72@Emilia42, @Helen3, @Huma0@Sarah977 , @Lawrene0, @Alexandra316 

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciated it.  Thank you so much.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Judith630Big no from me. I did it a couple of times when I was new, and it was a waste of time. Also, most people just use it as an opportunity to try and get a discount and go off-platform. 

@Judith630 and @Alexandra316,

I am more cynical, I think that some people use this as an opportunity to see what's valuable in your home to be stolen, and who resides in the home to plan for the theft.

@Debra300  That was my thought, too - casing the joint!  And that's why Airbnb doesn't give out the contact info until the guest has booked.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I have done this before but only because we had a local connection (parents of community members who I knew, friend of a friend, etc.) But as @Debra300 says I would never organize a tour of my house with a random stranger who contacted me on Airbnb. And especially now, do you want just anyone walking around your house? Ask the prospective guest what their concerns might be and then be honest in your answers. Also, assure them that you will try to correct any issues they may have when they first arrive to give them a little peace of mind. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Judith630 - @Debra300 is 100% right.  Here is what Airbnb says about guests who want to see a place before booking:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/47/what-should-i-do-if-a-guest-wants-to-see-my-place-before-book...

And here's what I say lol:

Nope.jpg

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I host in Philly as well and I never do showings before booking. I receive such requests before and I simply say no to all of them.

Besides that, I'd suggest that DO NOT ACCEPT LOCAL GUEST unless the guest has great shape profile (at least 3 positive reviews and all verifications complete) and explain to you in detail about their intention. We have had enough experience with bad apples in the past including a guest stole our coffee maker, a guest broke our TV, and several other s held parties, all are local guests.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Judith630 

I do sometimes get requests for 'tours' prior to booking, which is not so strange given that I host long-term and the ones who ask are looking to stay for a few months. I get it. I would probably want to see somewhere before booking for a few months, especially if I am local and it's not a difficulty to visit.

However, I still say NO. Not only is it against Airbnb policy and you could get stung for it, many times these guests are looking to book off the platform, which is complicated and, if I wanted to go that route, I wouldn't bother with Airbnb. I would just do normal rentals. Part of the appeal for me with Airbnb is it takes away all endless back and forth doing viewings etc.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ps Happy to do a viewing after they book, just as a resassurance.