ACCOUNT HACKED!

Answered!

ACCOUNT HACKED!

and Airbnb does not seem to care at ALL! 

the hackers have changed my payout method to a different paypal account and I have been calling and emailing Airbnb since Monday when I found out about this. the hackers paypal still listed on my account and they have not lifited a fingure to help me or secure my account.

this is so FRUSTRATING and I feel so exposed. I am new to airbnb and just hosted 2 guests and have not received any payments yet and when I checked on my account I clearly see a different payout method for the payments and with my bank info still listed there.

this is a major security issue on Airbnb site which they dont seem to care. I can't even find any decent email account to send emails

Very disappointed and frustrated at Airbnb and will take this issue to social media. 

Farah

1 Best Answer

@Robin107 I've been reading your posts with great interest.  I'm wondering, have you changed your email password lately?  Emails are hacked / compromised all the time.  I change mine every six months just to be on the safe side.  Remember, Yahoo had a massive email attack just a few months ago and my LifeLoc security manager has notified me at least once that my email address was found on a  website presumably for sale. 😞

Also, do you check your log in history?  In order for anyone to access your Airbnb account, they have to log in.  You can find this under your profile under Security.  If you find a log in from a device / IP address that you don't use, log them out and then change your password.  You should receive an alert when you or anyone else logs in from a foreign (to you) device / browser.  For example, if I log in to my Airbnb account from a friend's IPad, I will get an alert from Airbnb telling me.  Be sure your email settings are not blocking alerts from Airbnb. 

Yes, technically I supposed that there is a difference between hacking and compromising an account.  Strictly speaking, hacking is done when someone uses computer software to access data illegally such as when Target credit card accounts were accessed.  Usually this is done on a massive scale.  Compromising an account normally is done on an individual account level and is done by gaining access to a particular account.  This can be done easily through public wifi that is not password protected such as in an internet cafe.  Someone sitting next to you can see what you are doing on your device and gain information that way.  There are other ways as well, such as clicking on an attachment in an email from someone you don't know. 

I wish you the best of luck and I'm very sorry you are going through this traumatic ordeal!

View Best Answer in original post

184 Replies 184

Hi Margaret!

I am now going through this same scare you have mentioned in this post. I snoozed my listing in hopes Airbnb will take this time to resolve my issue, instead of just ignoring my lost as they have been doing until now. I see that you have experienced the same situation over 1 year ago, and was wondering if Airbnb ever corrected and refunded you for your $lost...? How did they resolve this issue...? I am questioning if I should terminate my account in Airbnb platform, and I'm gathering information to make a informed decision. Thank you. 

Debora

Yuriy21
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

This is 4th time in last 2 months that my Airbnb account is getting hacked. Everytime, it is the same scheme:
1. Hacker is logging into my account, changes the language of my account to japanese/chinese/indian/etc
2. Hacker adds his payout info to some alternate PayPal account, which shows "pending".
3. I get a notification in foreign language that "I" added a new payment method. Today this notification came in Japanese.
3. As a response, I notify Airbnb team and you tell me: "No problem, just follow this sequence to secure your account" and website takes me to change my password and logout any unauthorized login data.

It is apparent now that Airbnb is unable to run a secure operations, since their server is regularly is being hacked and my passwords are being revealed to everyone on the internet.
I will call BS on any suggestions that I "phished" into revealing my password or my passwords are too weak. I'm a cyber defense tech and I know what I'm doing when it come to web protection.

If you value your business, please secure your servers or I will switch over to VRBO!

@Yuriy21  This is the community discussion forum, not Airbnb customer service. No one from Airbnb CS or corporate reads these posts. 

Have you contacted them on Twitter? That is said to be the way to get the best response.

I've been dealing with the same thing since March 1-8 rental was hacked and someone changes the payout method to another account that's not mine.   You would assume they had a safe guard against this

in the first place.  I've been reaching out almost every day since March 8, 2021 and every time it's like starting over.  They act like they don't have a clue as to what ur talking about and you've been over it with them daily. So exasperating!!!  Very dissappointed to find out this large company has no protection for their host.  Kathryn

Hi!

I am now going through the exact same thing right now... did Airbnb ever corrected this issue with you...? I am questioning if I should terminate my account in Airbnb platform, and I'm trying to gather information on how Airbnb have treated this issue with other hosts, so I can make an informed decision. Thank you. 

Debora

Did you install any malicious app ? or downloaded any thing from unknown source? What are the things that hacker do ? Is he upload novels or novels https://readlightnovel.info/ ?

Have you downloaded any thing from an unknowns source? Any app or game?

Joshua23
Level 2
Saugerties, NY

I have had exactly the same problem and airbnb has not been able to help me

Serenia0
Level 1
Brussels, Belgium

H

Jane3175
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Iv been hacked - payment details changed - telephone number changed £700 taken and diverted to an account in America, was hacked in Germany I have a name and telephone number of the account holder and an address - all of which I found myself - trying to get these idiots to do anything is dreadful. They Emailed saying they have reviewed my account and all seems ok now - as if they have resolved the issue - I changed everything - removed the hackers account, updated my security and researched my hackers. I want my money back from Airbnb  and they can chase the hackers! 

That's really sad

Have you downloaded any game or app from unknow source?  https://readlightnovel.info/

@David7684  Do not spam this forum with your link.

This has just happened to me to.  No response from Airbnb.  

In January of this year my listing had been reverted to an older version that I had up before I made some important changes that more correctly described my home’s split level style layout. I didn’t make those changes so I notified airbnb... many times and asked for assistance but never received any help. March 3rd I requested my data as I know that my accounts were compromised (I had expressed this many times to airbnb) but was told my birthday was incorrect. They requested my ID which I provided but told me to change the incorrect date which the site would not allow. I have explained this to them over and over and they will not provide me with my data so I can determine what occurred. My information and the information of my guests is potentially at risk and they do nothing. I just don’t understand what it is they care about.