ACCOUNT HACKED!

Answered!

ACCOUNT HACKED!

and Airbnb does not seem to care at ALL! 

the hackers have changed my payout method to a different paypal account and I have been calling and emailing Airbnb since Monday when I found out about this. the hackers paypal still listed on my account and they have not lifited a fingure to help me or secure my account.

this is so FRUSTRATING and I feel so exposed. I am new to airbnb and just hosted 2 guests and have not received any payments yet and when I checked on my account I clearly see a different payout method for the payments and with my bank info still listed there.

this is a major security issue on Airbnb site which they dont seem to care. I can't even find any decent email account to send emails

Very disappointed and frustrated at Airbnb and will take this issue to social media. 

Farah

1 Best Answer

@Robin107 I've been reading your posts with great interest.  I'm wondering, have you changed your email password lately?  Emails are hacked / compromised all the time.  I change mine every six months just to be on the safe side.  Remember, Yahoo had a massive email attack just a few months ago and my LifeLoc security manager has notified me at least once that my email address was found on a  website presumably for sale. 😞

Also, do you check your log in history?  In order for anyone to access your Airbnb account, they have to log in.  You can find this under your profile under Security.  If you find a log in from a device / IP address that you don't use, log them out and then change your password.  You should receive an alert when you or anyone else logs in from a foreign (to you) device / browser.  For example, if I log in to my Airbnb account from a friend's IPad, I will get an alert from Airbnb telling me.  Be sure your email settings are not blocking alerts from Airbnb. 

Yes, technically I supposed that there is a difference between hacking and compromising an account.  Strictly speaking, hacking is done when someone uses computer software to access data illegally such as when Target credit card accounts were accessed.  Usually this is done on a massive scale.  Compromising an account normally is done on an individual account level and is done by gaining access to a particular account.  This can be done easily through public wifi that is not password protected such as in an internet cafe.  Someone sitting next to you can see what you are doing on your device and gain information that way.  There are other ways as well, such as clicking on an attachment in an email from someone you don't know. 

I wish you the best of luck and I'm very sorry you are going through this traumatic ordeal!

View Best Answer in original post

184 Replies 184

My account was hacked.  AIRBNB WAS HACKED.

I became aware in the moment as I was on my cell at my desk talking on speaker wth my cell beside me.  I saw two Airbnb Alerts come through; one on text message, the other an email alert, both indicating a change in my email.  Clearly, I knew it wasnt me.  I ended my call immediately and attempted to find and open either message.  GONE!! Both messages that clearly came through, and that I later verified were sent by Airbnb.  GONE!! Gone from my inbox, gone from my message history.  If I did not have my eyes on the screen when they were momentarily visible, I would not have had any inkling that my personal data and account info were compromised.  My assumption is that there are many accounts impacted right now without the hosts knowledge as this hack is sophisticated enough to remove from the host any trace of the alert.  I tried to log into my account via my desktop and was locked out.  My email was said to be invalid.  I called Airbnb and was told initially that they could not verify me unless I could tell them the current email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The email that the hack established.  Unbelievable!  I was fortunate to still be logged in on my cellular app and was able to visualize the hack email:[Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

.  Only then was Airbnb able to assist.  BAD system.  NOT secure.  Can you imagine that a hacker has free reign in your account and because you are not privy to this new email address that the hack established, you cannot be verified.  What a joke!!  Tell every host you know to make sure they can log in now if they arent already.  Im not sure that I will continue with Airbnb.... 

My account got hacked two days ago. Someone changed my login email address and I didn't even receive a nitofication.... literally NOTHING. So my account is not existed anymore I can't even reset the password.

Got it back just now and checked the login history ... OMG my account was like a public toilet... and an international one... poeple from everywhere logged into my account.... after this trip, I won't use airbnb anymore. I can't even quickly find a contact phone number from the website until google told me one. ridiculous

Hi, how did you get your password/account back? My account just got hacked minutes ago, I am locked out and can't even contact airbnb email because I am locked out. Please help!

Shannon274
Level 2
New York, United States

Hi Hassab,

I am in the midst of trying to retrieve damages from Airbnb after shaking my life to its core. A guest's who I authorized rent my apartment profile was hacked. She notified Airbnb of this as soon as she realized.  She informed airbnb 12 hours before the criminal guests were to arrive at mine that the reservation had to be cancelled and reported.  AIRBNB never relayed the message to me.  Airbnb was informed about the threat and did not contact either myself or the NYPD to give warning.  I had an automated check in so the robbers were able to enter my apartment and steal everything of value.  They also ravaged the place completely.  I had been texting who I thought was the authorized guest to check-in but was only texting a burning phone.  I discovered that my livelihood was gone while on a plane to Austin via my cleaner. I almost hyperventalated on board.  Only thing I'm fortunate for is that no one in the building was hurt. Could you possibly email me at **.  Airbnb is not taking any responsibility and your reference would be very helpful.  I just want to get my life back on track.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

LOL their website is secure. Says the person that most likely has no idea what they are talking about and less about cyber security and hacking.  They most likely did not respond to a phishing email.  Airbnb accounts have been getting hacked regularly and Airbnb might have the WORST customer service I have ever experienced in my life.  The mysterious uncontactable Trust and Safety department does nothing. My booking was recently "canceled" and my account was deleted and they did nothing and kept half my payment. As I am not a 70 year old tech illiterate I am pretty sure I did not accidentally "cancel" or respond to any phishing emails...VRBO will eventually put AirBnB out of business and I will happily do everything I can to caution future customers from using their service. I run 2 different gaming streams, 1 with over a quarter million followers. I may be filing a suit against BnB just on principle alone. Can not emphasize how horrible their customer service was to me and how creepy all their loyal to the end hosts are...

@Michael1544

I certainly find it worrying when I see posts from Hosts who seem to have drunk the cool aid, I think anybody who has been doing this for a long time finds out the reality.

I do know people who use other booking systems and have come to the conclusion that there is no perfect solution, they all have their pluses and minuses, so pick your poison.

David

Hi Michael,

I am in the midst of trying to retrieve damages from Airbnb after shaking my life to its core. A guest's who I authorized rent my apartment profile was hacked. She notified Airbnb of this as soon as she realized.  She informed airbnb 12 hours before the criminal guests were to arrive at mine that the reservation had to be cancelled and reported.  AIRBNB never relayed the message to me.  Airbnb was informed about the threat and did not contact either myself or the NYPD to give warning.  I had an automated check in so the robbers were able to enter my apartment and steal everything of value.  They also ravaged the place completely.  I had been texting who I thought was the authorized guest to check-in but was only texting a burning phone.  I discovered that my livelihood was gone while on a plane to Austin via my cleaner. Only thing I'm fortunate for is that no one in the building was hurt. Could you possibly email me at**?  Airbnb is not taking any responsibility and your reference would be very helpful.  I just want to get my life back on track.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Wondering how was it resolved I am going through the same ? Infact  I didnt noticed until I placed app in my phone and $7000 were stolen all of 2017 ! also the IBAN spain account

I change my password and they but they can navigate ; I think its internal to airbnb.

Eleni9
Level 2
Mikonos, Greece

Hello I'm also a host and my account hacked 

they remove one of my properties and replace it with onother 

complete strange.

i call airbnb and they said that they are fixing the issue 

the only problem that i have is that airbnb is not releasing the payments 

and we need our payments in time to keep our bussiness healthy

nobody can tell me how long it will take all this progress

@Eleni9 Actually your account was most likely compromised by responding to a phishing email that requested that you login.  Problem is that the login page wasn't a login to Airbnb but to a scam site where they obtained your login information.  At that point the scammers essentially took over your profile and set up a scam listing.  

I see that your account has been taken down by Airbnb.  You'll need to wait for them to either re-set your account or for them to tell you to set up a new account. 

In the meantime, here's what you need to know: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/971/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-really-from-airbnb

I hope this gets resolved quickly for you. 

Thank you Claire 

you mean that i can not receive request  for my properties?

how long it will take to be solved this issue 

and with payments?

we have allready booked july and august and wait for many visitors 

All this theme drive me grazy

@Eleni9 I would advise you to contact Airbnb through twitter @airbnbhelp as they will respond to you pretty quickly.  I'm quite sure an Airbnb case manager has been assigned to handle your situation.  If you don't know how to communicate through twitter, there are other options as described in the link below. 

Contacting through Twitter does not help.  They just use an automated reply that says your case manager is working on the issue.

Claire, you keep saying that the individual must have responded to an phishing email, but I can tell you right now that my account was also hacked and I have never responded to an email from AirBNB. I hadn't logged in to my account in a month or so and when I did the other day, my profile name had been changed and my account activity showed that I had last logged in 12 days ago from the UK! Clearly, the site is not as secure as it claims to be. 

@Cathy102 alternatively your email provider may have been hacked.  For example, Yahoo emails were hacked  in a mass cyber attack just a few months ago.